Adams County Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Community Safety and Well-being
at Adams County Government
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
As the leader of the Community Safety and Wellbeing Department, establishes short and long-term departmental priorities, goals, and objectives; organizes and directs special projects and work teams; identifies and implements strategies to ensure continuous improvement, employee engagement and customer service in all areas of Community Safety and Wellbeing. Ensures that service area initiatives are in alignment with the mission, vision and goals of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and Board of County Commissioners.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Plan and direct all aspects of the department's policies, objectives and regulations
- Facilitate service delivery and ensure cost effectiveness in the business units of Community Corrections, Community Justice, Emergency Management, Parking Management, and the Park Ranger Program.
- Recommend and develop innovative, community-oriented approaches to service planning and delivery, including analysis of research and service use data, best practice review, community and stakeholder consultation, collaboration with relevant organizations and program evaluation.
- Facilitate meetings with elected officials, municipal and county department heads, and others as appropriate to accomplish goals related to the mission and vision of the department and Adams County.
- Represent the County and department at a wide variety of governmental and professional meetings on an executive level regarding community safety service operations.
- Direct, coordinate and review the work plans for all departmental work units; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities and projects, monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Create a departmental culture that is consistent with organizational values, norms and cultural competencies.
- Embrace public service to the community and demonstrate a global organization perspective in decisions.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, objectives and initiatives that support the county's norms, values, mission and vision.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, department directors, managers, supervisors, employees, other agencies and the public.
- Perform high level strategic planning, project management, and public engagement work.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the work teams within Community Safety and Wellbeing.
- Develop staff potential, expanding professional opportunities for employees and help them contribute positively to the county and the community.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate assigned personnel, provide or coordinate management of staff training, work with employees to correct deficiencies, and implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Direct/perform the investigation and resolution of complaints/concerns related to departments/divisions operations and activities as assigned and upon request; identify and initiate solutions to major issues involving policy, service delivery, and organization changes and directions.
- Maintain current knowledge of laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures related to areas of responsibility; modify programs, projects, procedures and services to assure compliance with standards and best practices.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
- Experience: At least seven years of progressively responsible managerial or leadership experience in fields such as Community/Urban Planning, Community Corrections/Justice, Code Compliance, Emergency Preparedness/Resiliency, and Public Administration. Experience in local government administration is preferred. Experience in strategic planning and/or organizational development is desirable.
- Education and Training: Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, criminal justice, emergency management, planning or related field. A master's degree in public administration, business administration or a related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal (CBI) background check.
- More Qualifications for Success
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
- Ability to work in a standard office environment.
- Work is generally scheduled Monday through Friday with some night and weekend hours.
- Willingness and ability to be on call and coordinate responses to Emergency incidents when needed.