Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
Deputy Director for Health Plan Operations
First Resume Review: 01/14/2019
This position will remain open until filled.
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Office of the Director (OOD) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Deputy Director for Health Plan Operations. The Deputy Director for Health Plan Operations will be responsible for administration of the diverse day-to-day business and programmatic activities of the Agency. This position will oversee the work of senior level management including the Division of Healthcare Management (finance, rate development, data, clinical, operations and compliance), Fee-For-Service Management and project management. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Work with the Division Heads to: design long-range strategic plans; design & implement business strategies, plans & procedures; establish & implement organizational policies & procedures; analyze & recommend changes in organizational systems, policies & procedures and oversee implementation.
* In conjunction with the Agency Director, Deputy Director for Business Operations, Chief Medical Officer and Division Heads, plan and ensure institutional effectiveness regarding all administrative, operational issues and service. Work with the Agency Director to develop and implement agency policies and procedures.
* Direct supervision of assigned division Assistant Directors (Division of Healthcare Management, Division of Fee-for-Service Management) as well as indirect supervision as necessary in the absence of the Director and/or other Assistant Directors. Provide leadership, direction, and support.
* As required, participate and/or meet with stakeholders, legislators, health plan CEO's and/or Medical Directors, contractors, federal and state agency personnel and others.
* Act with full authority as agency Director in the Director's absence or at his/her designation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Knowledge of Medicaid policy, managed care and fee-for-service delivery systems as well as federal and state rules and regulations pertaining to health care & compliance requirements
* Knowledge of AHCCCS policies, procedures, systems and objectives
* A minimum of 5 years executive leadership experience
* Demonstrated experience with strategic planning and public speaking experience
* Experience in exercising initiative, judgment, problem-solving, decision-making, identifying and resolving problems
* Strong ability to analyze & interpret complex data
* Demonstrated ability to lead in a changing environment
* Master's degree in business administration, healthcare administration, public administration or closely related field & five years of work experience in operational management in a managed health care organization, public health care environment, and/or Medicaid policy.
* Demonstrated work experience in managing, motivating, and coordinating senior level staff.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.