Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director Business Development Physical Sciences
at ASU Foundation
ASU Enterprise Partners– Director Business Development Physical Sciences, Skysong Innovations
What we do:
ASU Enterprise Partners is a global-reaching non-profit based in Tempe, AZ. We raise resources to support students, researchers and programs at Arizona State University so that they can improve the world.
As is customary at ASU, we operate a little differently: not only do we cultivate philanthropy, we also identify real estate, technology transfer, international partnership and defense research opportunities that yield private support for the university. You can learn more about each of these entities at www.asuenterprisepartners.org.
Who we are:
Our team is varied – fundraisers, designers, scholars, financial wizards, ex-CEOs, filmmakers, venture capitalists, inventors, volunteers – and each member brings a different perspective to our vision.
Regardless of background, we share a mission that we can help, that quality higher education should be accessible -- no matter from where one comes -- and that we are responsible for the wellbeing of the communities we live in and serve.
Want to advance the most innovative university in the country – and your work? Join us.
There is no single career journey at Enterprise Partners. Roles often shift as passions are discovered. You’ll be encouraged to look across the organization to determine if new areas are of interest – whether in fundraising, real estate development, social media or something else. Training courses are offered every week, and our main offices face ASU’s Tempe campus, where our employees’ tuition is significantly reduced.
Our advancement opportunities are real – and so is the ability to be part of an intellectually stimulating, people-focused, mission-driven team doing meaningful work in a beautiful, vibrant, sunlit location.
Details about our comprehensive benefits are available at https://www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers/benefits.
As the top-rated university for innovation, Arizona State is a powerful generator of intellectual capital and technology. Skysong Innovations, a private non-profit organization, disseminates and manages that capital in the marketplace by nurturing relationships between faculty, investors and industry partners. Since its creation in 2003, Skysong Innovations has launched more than 120 startups, which support over 1,000 jobs and contribute hundreds of millions of dollars to Arizona’s economy.
The mission statement for the Physical Science TechnologyTransfer function is to identify, evaluate, protect, market and commercializeinnovative physical science based technologies developed at Arizona StateUniversity, a $550MM research enterprise, the aim is for ASU technologies to belicensed to both established and startup companies with a view to promotingsocietal benefits, while also ensuring a fair return for the university. Inaddition, this function may support technology transfer activities for otheruniversities and research institutions.
The overall responsibility of the Business DevelopmentManager is to work with faculty and administration in identifying physicalscience inventions; securing appropriate IP coverage; marketing to potentiallicensees; executing commercial license agreements including facilitatingfaculty startups; and ensuring diligence on the part of the licensees.
What you'll do:
· Engage and enhance strong working relationships withfaculty
· Search-out and work with faculty to disclosecommercially valuable ideas and prosecute intellectual property filings
· Market to potential licensees via emailing, phone calls,and face-to-face meetings
· Negotiate and execute licensing transactions from termsheet to definitive agreement
· Maintain up to date project status via central database
· Make presentations to faculty, industry, universityleadership and boards
· Other duties as assigned
What you'll need:
· Ability to represent the institution well and toenthusiastically serve as an emissary for ASU
· Team-oriented strategist able to effectively managecomplex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
· Collaborative style, combined with the ability anddesire to work in a team-based environment
· In depth knowledge of intellectual property prosecutionis required
· Ability to maintain a high-degree of confidentiality andresponsibility regarding information related to Skysong Innovations (SI), ASUEnterprise Partners, and University business and confidential information
· Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an abilityto communicate effectively in person, writing, and by phone with faculty,researchers, administrators and industry
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Independent thinking and problem solver who can takeinitiative and set priorities while being flexible. A track record ofinnovative approaches to technology development is a desirable plus.
· Ability to represent and promote SI and ASU
· Attention to detail and thoroughness in completingassigned duties
· Highly organized and able to multitask
· Adept at navigating complex environments with evolvingpriorities and communication plans
· Proven experience and success in the negotiation andconclusion of successful licensing and research agreements
· Proven ability to work productively with inventors,administrators and investors in an academic environment
· A proven communicator – comfortable dealing with seniorfaculty and university executives and administrators - as well as withexecutives in the commercial communities of technology, in order to develop andmaintain relationships with faculty, industry, and other academic institutions
Advancedtechnical degree required – PhD highly preferred - and a minimum of eight years of related experience.
SkysongInnovations, through ASU Enterprise Partners offers a competitive compensationand benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k)plan and reduced tuition at ASU.
For more information on Skysong Innovations, visit our existing web site at www.skysonginnovations.com
Skysong Innovations is an equal opportunity employer