City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Debt, Treasury and Investment Manager
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
The salary range for this position is $94,758 - $142,148 Annually.
The hiring range for this position is $94,758 - $118,453 Annually.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Finance Department manages the annual budget development process, provides financial
processing and reporting, provides citywide budget guidance, and provides financial analysis,
research, and special project support across the organization as well as other services. The
Debt, Treasury and Investment Manager provides many critical functions for the city including
assisting in maintaining and increasing the city's credit rating, managing the city's debt portfolio
of approximately $700 million, managing the city's investment portfolio of approximately $600
million and overseeing the city's treasury function. The Finance Department is a high performing, hard-working and creative team. We are currently looking for a strong leader that is team oriented, competent and experienced in debt, treasury, and investment management to
join our team.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this recruitment may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbents are responsible for:
- Manages debt, treasury and investments functions for the City
- Manages the Division budget and staff
- Makes recommendations to the Director regarding selecting, hiring, training, evaluating, and disciplining of assigned employees
- Directs and supervises assigned employees
- Analyzes alternative financing structures for financial soundness and compliance and monitors covenant compliance of City's outstanding debt
- Manages overall development of the City's offering statements including disclosure decisions and oversees development of materials and presentations to bond rating agencies
- Determines and recommends optimum bond issue size, maturity, and call schedules to maximize financial flexibility and minimize interest expense
- Evaluates and recommends the most appropriate and effective financing security
- Manages the administration of all debt service activities including determination of payments, investor relations, budgets for debt payments, and cash available for bond calls
- Provides analysis for water bonds or other City debt or lease-purchasing instruments
- Reviews and provides suggestions on legal documents including resolutions, ordinances, and financial contracts working closely with the City Attorney's Office
- Prepares financial and statistical data related to the City's debt and financing activities
- Develops recommended financial policies with regard to debt and investments
- Directs activities of financial advisors and other City staff with regard to debt issuance
- Manages arbitrage rebate issues and SEC reporting requirements for government debt
- Serves as staff source for the City's investment advisory committee and provides backup and control functions with regard to the City's investments
- Works with Financial Advisors in providing complex modeling and financial analysis to support debt management functions within the City
- Works with bond counsel on financing documents and reviews of financial transactions
- Works with Investment Advisor regarding investment policy update and investment decisions and strategies.
- Works with the Investment Advisory Committee and prepare agendas and presents to the committee
- Develops recommended policy for metropolitan and other special district financing
- Manages and directs special projects as assigned, and coordinates various project activities with other City staff
- Works with Investment Advisory Committee members and the City's investments advisor to develop and update investment policies.
- Identifies and implements innovative financial options related to debt for various financings
- Serves as a key resource for financial transactions associated with economic and financial developments.
- Reviews Moral Obligations and reports on them annually to the Management and Finance Policy Committee
- Assist with Aurora Urban Renewal Authority related financings.
- Lead rating agency presentations and on-site tours.
- Manages banking functions, contracts and relationships.
- Issues Requests for Proposals and selects the underwriters, advisors, etc.
- Presents items to the Management and Finance Policy Committee and City Council.
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in business administration, accounting, finance, economics, public administration, or directly related field
- Training in debt instruments and investments strongly preferred
- Master's Degree strongly preferred
- At least 4 years experience in higher level finance and financial management related to the position preferably those related to government
- Technical knowledge/experience and experience is highly desired and is distinguished from purely sales experience in debt instruments
- Prior supervisory experience is required
- In-depth knowledge of the principles and practices of debt issuance and management, debt instrument structuring, preferably instruments utilized in local government and finance and investment strategies and management
- Knowledge of public and private debt financings
- Knowledge of competitive and negotiated transactions
- Light physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
- Vision to read gauges and instructions and operate equipment
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Able to travel as required
- Ability to drive a car
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, written and verbal communication skills, managerial, supervisory, and creative problem-solving techniques.
- Skill in use of computers including spreadsheet design, complex modeling, and word processing applications
- Self-motivated, has a superior work ethic, is technically savvy, and has the ability to work remotely
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds
* Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
* Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
* Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
* Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
* Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
* Vision to read gauges and instructions and operate equipment
* Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
* Able to travel as required
* Ability to drive a car
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment; occasionally works nights and weekend
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, and chemicals. Some work may be performed in confined spaces
- Works both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to dust and noise and may encounter fumes from certain chemicals
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.