City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance & Operations Supervisor
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
- City of Aurora, ColoradoIt is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
**This posting is scheduled to close on Friday, July 10, 2020, at 5 pm MST noon, however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The City of Aurora is seeking a skilled Parks Maintenance Supervisor to supervise, monitor, and coordinate the activities of a crew of skilled, semi-skilled, and/or unskilled workers who may be engaged in evaluating overall park conditions; schedule and coordinate maintenance, construction, irrigation installation/repair, and equipment repair activities to ensure safety throughout the parks and related facilities.
- Plans, assigns, monitors, and coordinates the work activities of assigned crew
- Resolves problems and conflicts arising during the course of the work
- Prepares productivity and activity reports
- Reports and investigates accidents
- Assists in preparing and recommending equipment specifications
- Possesses thorough knowledge of equipment operation and construction practices
- Manages records updating and makes recommendations concerning materials, manpower, and equipment used
- Maintains and enforces safety regulations and procedures
- Coordinates preventative maintenance programs
- Inspects work in progress for conformance to standards
- Makes recommendations regarding budgetary matters as well as tracks and monitors budget[s]
- May plan, monitor, and coordinate special functions with all user groups and between inter-city departments
- Participates in selecting, hiring, training, evaluating, supervising, and disciplining assigned employees
- Conduct snow removal operations
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Horticulture or Turf Management (Preferred)
- Certified Landscape Technician or Equivalent (Preferred)
- At least 4 years' progressively responsible experience in parks operations including turf and irrigation maintenance and repair,
- 2 year of supervisory or lead work experience (Highly Preferred)
- Pesticide Applicator's License (Preferred)
- Central Irrigation Control experience (Preferred)
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and operating procedures utilized in the assigned functions, hazards, and safety practices common to machinery and equipment utilized
- Knowledge of construction practices and procedures; and reads blueprints.
- Ability to multi-task while working effectively with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Prioritize, coordinate, and make work assignments
- Fulfill goals and objectives; and direct, effectively train, and supervise other employees.
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Skill in operation of equipment and tools of assigned function.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work requiring ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds with or without assistance or 100 pounds with assistance
- Regular walking and standing to oversee projects
- Some pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, crouching, and climbing to inspect work sites; hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of equipment and vehicles
- Vision to read reports, manuals, written materials, instruments and gauges
- Good speech communication, hearing, and listening for effective communication with others
- Supervises and trains employees and communicates with citizens.
- Works both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, chemicals, and fumes.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
_____________________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Operates equipment and vehicles common to parks maintenance functions; computers and control irrigation controller.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.