City of Laredo, TX
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Animal Care Services Director, (B197610-4), R43, Animal Care Facility
at City of Laredo, TX
- Job Summary
SALARY: Negotiable depending on qualifications and experience
Is responsible for providing management and administrative oversight to the Animal Care Services Department. Develops and ensures the deployment of the strategic plan to promote increased responsible pet ownership through enforcement, stray pet population control, and increasing the live release rate of animals. Coordinates assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies, and makes recommendations related to animal care procedures and methods. Exercises direct supervision over professional, technical, and clerical staff.
- Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws and ordinances dealing with animal care activities.
- Knowledge of best practices in animal care procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of current issues related to the activities and operations of the Animal Care Services Department.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision, training, and personnel management and development.
- Skills in operating a personal computer and utilizing applicable software to include Microsoft Office and other shelter software.
- Ability to develop animal care procedures and policies.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to manage, direct, and coordinate the work of professional and technical staff.
- Ability to exercise initiative judgment and diplomacy in the management of the Animal Care Services Department.
- Ability to formulate new techniques and strategies for a more efficient operation of the City's Animal Care Facility.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, the general public, and the media.
- Ability to prepare and present comprehensive studies and reports.
- Ability to oversee large scale operations.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned staff.
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good driving record.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees and respond to general public complaints.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside an office and exposed to a variety of weather conditions such as: excessive heat and cold/inclement weather. Exposure to outdoor elements, such as: solvents, dirt, dust, and slippery or uneven walking surfaces. Work involves long or irregular working hours; capable of working closely with others and/or alone, working around moving objects or vehicles, and in a constantly noisy environment. Work requires moderate traveling by car, van, bus, and plane. Work requires repeated bending, standing, sitting, pushing, crouching, kneeling, stooping, walking, climbing stairs and ladders, reaching above shoulders, light carrying under 15 pounds, occasional lifting between 25-50 pounds, operating a motor vehicle, and operating office equipment. Ability to see, write, count, read, identify shade of colors, and hearing is needed to perform essential functions of this position.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops policies and procedures, and monitors work activities to ensure compliance with established guidelines.
- Evaluates and recommends changes and improvements to existing standards and procedures.
- Plans, directs, and evaluates the work of the Animal Care Services staff.
- Reviews and interprets Animal Care policies and regulations mandated by Federal, State, and local government entities, and oversees the operation of a safe and humane animal euthanasia program; remains abreast of modern euthanasia methods.
- Implements procedures utilized in daily operations to ensure direct results are achieved; prepares reports as required by Federal and State agencies.
- Plans and administers the personnel and fiscal needs for the Animal Care Services Department; prepares and monitors the department's annual budget.
- Responds to questions from the public, City officials, and the media and assists in resolving sensitive inquiries and complaints from both internal and external sources.
- Works with Public Health officials in monitoring and reviewing animal-related community concerns.
- Provides management and administrative oversight of the Animal Care Services Department; plans and oversees the new Animal Care Services facility.
- Serves as the animal control authority for the City of Laredo including public health and safety, quarantine of animals, and rabies control.
- Negotiates and is involved in regular monitoring of contracts and local agreements.
- Ensures proper euthanasia protocols are followed.
- Develops short-and long-range strategy for the department.
- Oversees timely and cost-effective oversight of department construction projects.
- Maintains a strong sense of leadership to motivate the workforce.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Assists with the administration of office, program, and staff.
- Direct supervision of personnel in the field and operations, and maintains a professional, service-oriented crew.
- Conducts training on preventive measures, and assures proper safe use of equipment.
- Establish and maintains an effective working relationship with the public; projects a positive and professional image of the animal control service.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Business Administration, Veterinary Science, or related field.
At least four (4) years of experience in animal care facility/shelter of which two (2) years would have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
*If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered employment.
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to employment.
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at (956) 727-6460 two days prior to the scheduled test or interview.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."