City of Phoenix
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Deputy Human Resources Director - Benefits
at City of Phoenix
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The City of Phoenix, the fifth largest city in the U.S. with 14,000 employees, seeks an experienced benefits manager to work with senior management to design, develop, and implement the City’s employee and retiree benefits program aligned with City objectives and legal requirements. The position manages a supervisor, sixteen staff and six onsite vendor representatives. The successful candidate will balance tactical and strategic initiatives with a hands-on, team oriented approach.
Benefits Division programs and responsibilities include a self-funded health plan, wellness program, post-employment benefits, and self-administered long-term disability program.
The position develops and maintains productive working relationships with committees and boards, labor groups, the City’s retirement office, the Finance department, HRIS, vendors, and benefits managers in peer employers.
Benefits Responsibilities Include:
- Working collaboratively with the Health Care Task Force and the Health Care Trust Board to develop and administer a comprehensive and cost effective benefits program for 40,000 employees, retirees and enrolled dependents.
- Overseeing the eligibility and enrollment processes in PeopleSoft v 9.2 to include accurate and timely electronic files, annual Open Enrollment set up, and self-service.
- Managing twenty vendors, contracts, and procurement processes.
- Designing the employee wellness program to enhance well being and manage health risks.
Work involves consulting with City management, labor representatives, employees, retirees, and representatives of other jurisdictions regarding a variety of human resources actions, laws, programs, and services; and developing and implementing Citywide services, programs, policies, and procedures.
First review of applications has been completed. Selection and onboarding for this position is anticipated to be completed by February 25, 2019. Applications will be reviewed biweekly until we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
Up to $124,946 annually. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
In addition, city contributes 8.5% of salary into 457/401(a) plan with no matching required. $3,360/annual car allowance and $1,200/annual cell phone allowance.
A comprehensive Middle Manager benefits package is offered which includes:
Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, HSA; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; Medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement; Paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 12 sick days. For more details, visit: Middle Manager Benefits.
QUALIFICATIONS - Desired qualifications include a minimum of:
- Five years of progressively responsible human resources experience that includes administration of policies, advanced analysis, program oversight, and two years of supervisory experience;
- Three years of professional benefits management experience in an employer setting to include administration of a self-funded health plan with at least 5,000 enrolled members,
- Three years of experience managing multiple health and welfare vendors, contracts, and RFP processes,
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field;
- Experience making presentations to executives, boards, task forces and councils;
- Strong research, analytical, business process and problem solving skills with a customer focus;
- The ability and skill to manage multiple projects, maintain momentum, and meet deadlines on time and within budget.
- The City job description can be found here.
Only the highest qualified applicants will be posted to the eligible-for-hire list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER
- Please provide the number and level (supervisory, professional, clerical, etc.) of employees you supervise.
- In approximately 100 words or fewer, describe your professional experience in an employer setting providing benefits administration. Please include the number of enrolled members and self-funded or fully insured status of programs.
- In approximately 100 words or fewer, indicate your contract management experience such as developing requests for proposals, vendor selection, contract negotiations, and vendor management (include the size in dollars, type of contracts managed, and your role).
Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Deputy Human Resources Director, JC: 05400, ID #29769, 12/10/18, 6m, Benefits Code: Mid Mgr
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.