City of Phoenix
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Deputy Planning & Development Director - Building Official
at City of Phoenix
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The City of Phoenix Planning and Development Department is seeking a Deputy Director to oversee the Office of Customer Advocacy, the Self Certification Program and the Life Safety Technical Experts, as well as ensure technical training for the Development Division, and perform as the City’s fulltime Building Official. The incumbent will lead the process in structural and architectural plans for new construction, alteration, and repairs to ensure compliance with City building codes and national standards. Duties include providing recommendations to changes in the Phoenix Building Construction Code to resolve design and interpretation problems and to accommodate and control new materials and new design concepts. Serve as the subject matter export to review and approve alternate methods or materials for code compliance. Provides expert technical advice and assistance to design professionals and city staff regarding the interpretation of construction plans, design problems, and construction code. Will provide leadership and direction to all department technical leads for structural, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire life safety disciplines as well as oversee the Technical Review Team that manages all PDD development policy, process, forms, and handouts.
Technical advice and assistance is given to architects, engineers, and contractors on code conformance problems and to field inspectors in the interpretation of construction plans and in the resolution of unusually difficult construction code interpretation problems. This positon will work closely with the Fire Marshal and other key Fire Department Staff involved in construction code and fire life safety issues. The Building Official functions as a key member of the Imminent Hazard team that consists of representatives from multiple city departments as well as Maricopa County.
Supervision of the Office of Customer Advocacy will involve supporting Adaptive Reuse projects, small business development and helping projects that need assistance to move through the development process.
The Building Official is assigned to the Development Division and reports directly to the Assistant Planning & Development Director.
First review of applications has been completed. Applications will be reviewed biweekly until we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
Up to $124,946 annually. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The City contributes 8.5% of salary into 457/401(a) plans with no matching required. $3,360/annual car allowance and $1,200/annual cell phone allowance.
A comprehensive Middle Manager benefits package is offered which includes:
Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, HSA; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Middle Manager Benefits.
- Five years of professional planning or engineering experience which included one year in code administration.
- A bachelor's degree in urban planning, engineering, architecture, or a related field
- Registered Professional Engineer/Structural Plans Engineer or Civil (PE) or Architect in the State of Arizona at the time of hire.
- Must obtain CC CBO (Certified Building Official) Certificate within 11 months of hire date.
- Experience working on special projects with extensive community involvement, that cross department or agency lines, or involve regional initiatives or partnerships
- Experience working with senior management, elected officials, and community groups
- The City job description can be found here.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS - The job requirements above, plus:
- Master's degree in engineering, public or business administration, government management, urban planning, or a related field is preferred.
- Only the highest qualified will be posted to the eligible to hire list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Deputy Planning & Dev Dir, JC: 60930, ID# 29868, 12/16/18, 6m, PO, Benefits: Mid Mgr, Q,
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.