County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Information Technology Manager
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Classification specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under administrative direction, assumes full responsibility for planning, organizing, directing, staffing and controlling either 1) one or more major technology sections within the Information Technology Department, such as applications development and/or infrastructure management or 2) all major technology functions and/or operations within a County department (other than Information Technology) including application and technology support, analysis of business requirements, and systems project management. Positions in this classification are responsible for the strategic planning and budget oversight for technology functions and/or operations within the assigned section. Supervises/manages others directly or through subordinate supervisors; makes technology related policy recommendations to the Chief Information Officer, Deputy Chief Information Officer, or department head; sets the vision/mission for the assigned section and ensures achievement of objectives; exercises a significant level of discretion and accountability in program decisions and work to be accomplished within the scope of assignment; directs the management of department projects and may serve as project manager; may provide technical expertise for a particular functional area; and performs other related duties as assigned.
The Information Technology Manager is the section head level classification assigned to positions in the Information Technology Department or the Information Technology Unit of other County departments. Incumbents in this class have expert-level responsibility and work under general direction, working from broad policies and towards general objectives and referring specific matters to a superior only when interpretation or clarification of organizational policies is necessary. Although incumbents may supervise a variety of professional, technical and/or other support staff, the preponderant responsibility assigned to positions in this classification is to plan, organize, direct, control and manage the operations and work of professional staff within an information technology work section that is responsible for business applications, network engineering and/or information technology analytical functions and to provide highly responsible professional, technical and strategic technology expertise to the operational department(s).
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Develops strategic plans, objectives and priorities for assigned section and /operational areas; plans, develops and implements programs that utilize human and financial resources to achieve results.
- Determines organizational structure, staffing needs, and work strategies for assigned section and operational areas.
- Provides overall direction for the day-to-day activities in assigned section and /operational areas.
- Develops and administers annual budget for assigned section and operational areas; approves and tracks expenditures; reviews, approves and researches costs for new hardware, software and other items; reviews, approves and prepares cost/benefit analyses, reports and recommendations.
- Manages the development of operational and/or functional standards, practices, policies and procedures; participates in the development and implementation of strategic department goals, policies and priorities.
- Supervises and directs the work of professional, technical and/or other employees directly or through subordinate supervisors; ensures that staff have adequate resources to perform their duties; ensures that assigned operations and activities comply with organization goals and objectives.
- Designs, directs and oversees section quality assurance activities.
- Meets and consults with customers and vendors regarding service delivery needs; oversees and participates in the design, development, delivery and/or implementation of IT products to meet those needs.
- Assumes responsibility for the development of specifications for "requests for proposal" pertaining to external services; reviews submissions and provides recommendations on vendor selection.
- Assumes responsibility for procurement of services and goods required.
- Directs the management of projects to enhance and/or upgrade technology services and utilization.
- Manages projects that vary in size and scope, and require varying levels of staff and resource support. Project-related duties may include, but are not limited to:
- determining and developing cost benefit analyses for project justifications; developing project budgets and resources needed to conduct the work; evaluating risk concerns and options; providing technical input into the development of specifications for "requests for proposals" pertaining to external services; reviewing vendor submissions and providing recommendations on vendor selection;
- monitoring vendor performance to ensure compliance with County standards and specifications; ensuring project compliance with County procedures or protocols, budgetary constraints and staff/resource utilization;
- serving as the client interface on assigned projects; reviewing recommendations with clients and receiving approval to proceed; reviewing final outcomes with the client and obtaining their sign off that all work has been conducted in accordance with client requirements;
- directing the resources of assigned projects, including subordinate project management staff, to ensure compliance with budget and project specifications;
- designing and directing project testing and quality assurance processes for assigned projects.
- Prepares reports, correspondence and other documents; participates on committees and task forces; attends meetings, conferences and training sessions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in computer science, information systems or a closely related field.
Experience: Nine (9) years of progressive IT management experience in a complex information systems environment with responsibilities for a variety of hardware systems and software applications that include supervising/managing applications development and analysis, server administration and maintenance, or network engineering. Experience must include at least four (4) years IT formal management experience.
Combination of post-secondary education and/or experience totaling thirteen (13) years'
of progressive IT management experience in a complex information system environment
with responsibilities for a variety of hardware systems and software applications that
include supervising/managing applications development and analysis, server administration and maintenance, or network engineering. Experience must include at least four (4) years' of IT formal management experience.
Special Requirements: 1) depending upon assignment, demonstrated professional level competency and/or certification pertaining to the information technologies used by the appointing department may be required; 2) depending upon assignment, experience that is specifically related to the duties of the position (e.g., applications, network, and/or general systems) may be required.
- Supplemental Information
- Principles and practices of public administration, including budgeting, staff development, customer service and human resource management.
- Principles and practices of management, supervision and leadership.
- Methods of long-term strategic technical planning
- Computer hardware and software systems similar to those being used by the hiring department, including business applications, operating systems, and network systems.
- Advanced project management principles, practices and techniques such as organizing and managing a project, developing schedules, identifying critical paths, breaking down a project into individual tasks and delegating assignments to project staff.
- Advanced principles, methods and techniques used in designing, developing, testing and implementing information technology applications, systems and networks.
- Advanced operations, services, concepts, terms and activities common to a comprehensive, state-of-the-art information technology program.
- Advanced information technology development lifecycle and design principles using flowcharting techniques and prototype development tools.
- Advanced methods and techniques of evaluating business need requirements to provide technology solutions.
- Database concepts.
- Advanced operational characteristics of local and wide area network systems.
- Advanced operational characteristics of communication systems, equipment and devices.
- Tools and equipment used in testing the functionality of computer systems.
- Advanced principles and methods of troubleshooting computer hardware, software and network problems.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Methods and techniques of developing and presenting technical documentation and training materials.
- Advanced principles and practices of information technology documentation and record keeping.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment.
- Plan, organize and manage the work of information technology staff.
- Manage and supervise a unit of subordinate employees who perform professional information technology work pertaining to applications, systems and/or network analysis.
- Develop work plans and methods to ensure that assigned work areas are functioning in the most effective and efficient manner.
- Effectively mentor, motivate and coach others.
- Plan and implement technology decisions based upon a global County perspective.
- Quickly learn and understand emerging technologies and how they fit into the existing platforms.
- Oversee, develop, and administer the budget for the assigned unit.
- Prepare executive level correspondence, reports, narratives, and presentations
- Manage concurrent multi-tiered, multi-disciplined, and multi-faceted projects with fast paced, mission critical timelines.
- Gather and evaluate information in order to reason logically, draw valid conclusions, take appropriate actions and/or make appropriate recommendations.
- Develop information technology designs, flow charts, report layouts and screen designs.
- Communicate technical information to a wide variety of users.
- Interpret and apply complex and technical information pertaining to computer and network systems.
- Adapt quickly to changes in policies, procedures, assignments and work locations.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered during the course of the work.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER