County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Internal Only - Open Space Supervisor
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Under general direction of the Director, develop, administer, supervise, and implement plans and projects for the Bernalillo County Parks and Recreation Open Space Program. Supervise and coordinate Open Space staff. Work directly with Land Management Section Manager and Park Planner on planning, use, and maintenance of open space properties and their natural resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY
- Develop, prepare, update, and coordinate the implementation of the Parks and Recreation Parks and Open Space Master Plan, as well as strategic, resource management, and facility plans, as these pertain to the Open Space Program.
- Prepare and administer the Open Space Program budget
- Supervise Open Space staff and interns in carrying the Open Space Program.
- Coordinate with the land management section and other county departments in overseeing maintenance and facility improvements of open space properties.
- Prepare, facilitate, and maintain lease agreements and contracts and expenditure summaries.
- Coordinate with the Parks Planning Manager and BCPR Land Management on all aspects of natural surface trail development and maintenance.
- Oversee research, development, monitoring, analyzing, implementation and evaluation of a broad range of protection and conservation measures for natural and cultural-related resources in support of various open spaces, trails, and related programs
- Serve as a department representative in various roles as staff, resource, liaison and member to committees, boards, agencies, and community groups.
- Coordinate with other County, City and State departments and agencies as necessary for open space and other recreational properties regarding developments and improvements.
- Prepare periodic reports, maps, and presentations on operations, projects, and other related activities of the Open Space Program.
- Facilitate County and other agency staff and teams in creating and reviewing plans and other Open Space initiatives.
- Prepare planning cases and other documents for presentation to the County Planning Commission and adoption by the Board of County Commissioners.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's or graduate degree in planning, natural resource management, environmental sciences, or closely related field plus a minimum of four (4) years of responsible administrative experience as documented by past employment relating to operations and management, supervision of staff, and overall department operation, or any combination of education and experience totaling eight (8) years of responsible administrative experience as documented relating to planning services management, open land management, supervision of staff, and overall department operation.
- Supplemental Information
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of a broad range of protection and conservation measures for natural, agricultural and cultural landscape-related resources in support of various open spaces, trails, and related programs.
- Knowledge of local agriculture and food systems.
- Knowledge of local government budgetary, permitting, purchasing and personnel (HR) processes.
- Knowledge of land use planning and land development process--zoning, subdivision, property acquisition and site-planning.
- Facility with Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Working Proficiency in Accella and SAP.
- Knowledge of GIS.
- Experience with Grant writing and related processes and opportunities.
- Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate programs and services.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English, to prepare accurate, concise, complete, and informative written materials and reports, and to make effective presentations.
- Ability to manage programs and personnel effectively and to work productively either independently or as a team member or team leader.
- Ability to maintain objectivity and confidentiality in dealing with a variety of complex and potentially sensitive information.
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Must have a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date and retain a valid NM driver's license while employed in this position.
- Majority of job duties are performed indoors in climate-controlled environment, however, other duties may require occasional work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Primary work surface is even, dry, carpeted or tiled floor.
- Telephone, typewriter, calculator, computer, FAX machine, and copy machine are used in performance of essential job duties.
- Various forms of paperwork and money are handled in performance of essential job duties.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER