Extra Space Storage
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director, East Coast Learning and Development
at Extra Space Storage
At Extra Space Storage, if it matters to you, it matters to us!
It is a really exciting time to be at Extra Space Storage! Extra Space Storage got its start in 1977. Between now and then, we’ve come a long way. Today we are a New York Stock Exchange-traded company leading the self-storage industry in more ways than one. But in order to maintain this lead, we need exceptionally motivated, capable, and driven people like you. We offer a fast-paced collaborative environment where each of us directly contributes to the company’s success. Come join our growing industry and find out why so many of our employees recommend Extra Space Storage as a great place to work.
By collaborating with HR, Learning and Operational leadership, the East Coast Learning and Development Director ensures a consistent learning strategy is executed across an assigned region of the operations department of Extra Space Storage. This includes participation in analysis of training gaps, input into the creation of development plans, and oversight of the consistent execution of a platform that will provide learning and development opportunities for employees with varied levels of experience. This is a high impact role requiring a strong, decisive, results-oriented leader who can lead, develop and manage a team, while maintaining close relationships across the organization in order to influence a wide variety of partners based on trust, teamwork, and knowledge.
*This position is based out of the senior division office in Marlton, New Jersey and requires up to 50% travel across multiple divisions.
- Ensures the successful execution of all learning strategies at divisional, district, and site level within divisions through Division Learning Managers and District Team Leads.
- Instill a consulting mentality in the divisions.
- Responsible for the professional development of Divisional Learning Managers.
- Conduct formal monthly review of district and divisional performance with each Division Learning Manager including:
- District Team Lead performance
- Division performance compared to operating goals
- Talent activities and development plans
- Training and onboarding reports
- Through collaboration with HR, Learning and Operational management, create developmental plans for teams and individuals. Effectively manage learning resources necessary to implement these plans.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for improvement of systems, processes, methodologies and training to increase efficiencies and train personnel. Strong focus on end-to-end process integration and results required.
- Assist in the management of mystery shop process and relationship including regular multi-division roll-up reporting, recommendations for changes to program (form, shop frequency, and campaign type), and regular interaction with vendor.
- Partner with Learning leadership and Content Manager to:
- Ensure consistent updates to eLearning content;
- Ensure accurate recommendations from DLMs;
- Make recommended changes to courseware using Captivate; and
- Recommend learning strategies for site training
- Travels frequently (over 50%) throughout the divisions to conduct necessary training activities, attend and present at various informational meetings, and support personnel as follows:
- Conduct development meeting for direct reports outside of annual HR Meeting
- Attend and participate in recurring department web meetings
- Conduct property visits with DLMs, DMs, and DTLs focusing on consistent performance practices, training practices, and leadership skill development
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The incumbent must have current driver license to facilitate travel throughout the division organization. ESMI seeks employees that have entrepreneurial, pro-active, "can-do" mentalities, positive attitudes, can handle change and operate with integrity. Employment with ESMI is contingent on successful completion of a background and drug screening. Other qualifications include:
- Comprehensive knowledge of learning and development principles including familiarity with instructional design, technology based learning, skill development, change management, and process design
- Credibility to influence employees, peers and executive management. Ability to establish and maintain collaborative partnerships across the divisions.
- Ability to integrate work across delivery channels and customer segments in a fast-paced, highly matrixed environment; establish priorities and achieve results.
- Client focused to ensure that customer needs are built into solutions and processes
- Excellent strategic and process thinking abilities
- Results driven and metrics focused
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Professional executive demeanor; decisive with highly versatile interpersonal skills
- Unquestionable business and personal integrity
- Personal Capability
- Focus on Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Leading Organizational Change
Reports to: Senior Director Learning and Development
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises and reviews development and performance of Division Learning Managers within assigned region.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred. A minimum of 3-5 years training and leadership experience, preferably with a service or retail organization with a dispersed workforce.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday.
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.