Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
- # of Openings
- Flex-N-Gate Chicago, LLC
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Controls Manager will provide technical leadership, team and project management for all aspects of electrical systems throughout the facility, system integration, and validation for industrial control systems.
· Responsible for the functional management and leadership of the Electrical Controls Engineering department that performs continuation engineering and supports new and old control systems development. Continuation Engineering defines the service level expectations associated with maintaining a control system or a process system through the normal production life cycle to improve and enhance functionality, maintain industry standards, improve quality, and achieve productivity improvements.
· Integral to these functions is the responsibility for leading a highly capable, motivated engineering team. The manager must optimize and develop expertise, create and maintain focus, enable and foster career development, and maintain alignment of assignments and staff with priorities and business needs. The manager must work in close partnership with Project Management, Business Management, and work in collaboration with Operations throughout the plant. This position requires one to be a strategic thinker with strong leadership, technical and interpersonal skills.
· Create; oversee others in the designs and details of electrical elementary diagrams, wiring diagrams, layout control panels and systems for machine controls and automation production equipment.
· Create and oversee others in the component selection, controls architecture design, software development, and system integration of all electrical components.
· Supervise, develop, and implement control strategies including programming of PLC's (programmable logic controllers), operator interface design, system implementation, start-up and commissioning of systems
· Drive the development of new controls solutions that improve our competiveness.
· Interpret control requirements from customer specifications, develop technical requirements for controls.
· Supervise and create the development of flow charts, sequence of operations, I/O documents, ladder logic programs for PLC based industrial controllers
· Schedule resources, approve time off, evaluate, review and coach members of the Controls Systems Group.
· Identify skill requirements, technology development opportunities and new product offerings from suppliers. Focus on opportunities and make recommendations for future technical direction.
· Promotes cultural values and behavior in others (respectful, purposeful, integrity, collaborative, adaptable, positive attitude, excellence, effective communication, self-motivated, responsible, recognition & appreciation)
· Perform other assignments, as requested by Plant Manager.
· Supervisory and administrative responsibility over a group of engineers or functions as a technical specialist formulating and developing advanced concepts, techniques, and standards
· Responsibilities include assuring effective utilization of engineering personnel, and technical quality
· Direct management of electrical controls engineers, master electrician, and technicians. Provide guidance to staff to achieve goals in accordance with established policies.
· Continuously develop and apply technical domain expertise in Controls Engineering. Maintain a strong, high level of competence in Electrical and/or Computer engineering to promote the incorporation of relevant technology into controls and/or processes; and provide leadership and guidance to technical staff members while managing risk/reward trade-offs.
· Establish and maintain Electrical Control Engineering standards, procedures, performance levels and documentation requirements. Propose and lead process improvement initiatives to drive breakthrough productivity and quality.
· Manage relationships with vendors, consultants, contractors, and professional associations to keep informed with existing and evolving industry standards and technologies.
· 10-12 years’ experience working with control systems in an automotive facility
· Including a minimum of 3 years of technical lead experience in engineering management.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in related Engineering field
· Demonstrated success and knowledge of designing and developing electrical control systems for industrial machines, robotic work cells and assembly lines.
· Strong technical domain expertise in Electrical Control Engineering principles, concepts, and methods, and electrical standards compliance in order to manage and guide team through technical issues of design integrity, manufacturability, and quality issues mitigation.
· Strong leadership and organizational skills with the ability to motivate employees and maintain a positive, team-building environment.
· Encourage a positive work environment to foster outstanding performance. Possess and share a vision of success and work with individuals to help them reach their full potential.
· Conform to all aspects of the company’s goals, values, and standards of ethical conduct.
· Demonstrate integrity, trustworthiness under all circumstances. Treat others honestly and fairly.
· Work as a team leader to formulate plans for electrical control system or process development, in response to customer feedback, competitive directions, and technology trends.
· Ability to manage multiple projects.
· Must have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
· Must have a proven proficiency with RSLogix 5000 programming software.
· Must have in-depth knowledge of National (NFPA, ANSI) and design and safety regulations and standards.
· Ability to read and understand complex electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanical design documents.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.