Grand Canyon University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Landscaping Crew Supervisor
at Grand Canyon University
Grand Canyon University’s Facilities Department is seeking a Landscaping Crew Supervisor. Under the direction of the manager or supervisor, the hands-on working crew lead assists in assigning and scheduling grounds maintenance work and staff, overseeing job performance and quality and ensuring completion of work within timelines.
- With manager approval, determines priorities, identifies job requirements, assigns staff to specific jobs or projects and oversees work production throughout the shift.
- Resolves issues related to the project, resolves conflicts and maintains the team concept at all times.
- Ensures team is following safety precautions.
- Operates mowing, portable blowers/vacuums, lawn trimming equipment with related implements, chain saws, brushing saws, chipper and numerous hand tools.
- Maintains high standards of beautification and cleanliness and inspects grounds for needed maintenance and picks up and disposes of any accumulated debris, removes and repairs graffiti, ensures seating areas and public gathering spots are in good condition, cleans drains, gutters and troughs.
- Plants, trims and prunes shrubs, bushes, hedges, trees, ground cover, cacti, flowers, turf, etc.; may water trees, shrubs, flowers and lawns and perform irrigation activities.
- Assists in the maintenance of parking lots and other surfaces, including asphalt repairs and minor masonry or plastering work as required.
- Loads or unloads dirt, timber, pavements, sand, gravel and related landscaping materials by hand.
- Operates landscaping vehicles including Gators, pick-up trucks, flat-rack trucks, vans, golf carts or other motorized vehicles as needed for hauling purposes and/or trash and debris removal.
- Removes weeds by various means including by hand and tool or uses unrestricted herbicides and pesticides.
- Places fertilizer, mulch or gravel where needed and directed and ensure soil is kept in good condition.
- Digs up and/or transplants, replaces/plants various species of vegetation, plants, flowering plants, bushes, hedges, ground cover, trees and the like according to specifications or as directed.
- May perform repair and rehabilitation of stone walls, pavements, paved stone, etc.
- May dig ditches by hand, using hand tools to accommodate various needs such as irrigation, pipes, electrical, etc. as related to landscaping.
- May use power wash equipment.
- Installs and removes outdoor signs, parking and traffic control barriers and overhead banners as required.
- Ensures hand tools are kept clean and in good condition.
- Minimum of 2 years’ work experience in commercial grounds maintenance/landscaping experience, including crew lead experience.
- Knowledgeable in the proper operation of equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening.
- Skill in operating grounds maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of horticulture, botany, biology is helpful but not required.
- Must be able to perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis and in extreme desert temperatures.
- Knowledgeable of and willing to follow all safety precautions and security procedures.
- Willingness to work overtime, weekends or holidays as needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.