Heartland Financial USA
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Enterprise Risk Management
at Heartland Financial USA
Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is a growing dynamic organization with many locations offering uniquely different banking and financial solutions for businesses and personal clients. As a performance driven company, we strive to create a culture of excellence with high standards, and high values while providing outstanding growth and involvement opportunities for employees. Join a team that makes "Great Things Happen!"
The Director of Enterprise Risk Management is responsible for developing and operating an effective enterprise risk management function for the company. This position will have solid-line supervision of second line of defense risk management staff, and solid or dotted-line oversight of risk personnel assigned to or embedded in first line of defense units. The Director of Enterprise Risk Management includes maintaining a collaborative relationship with other major risk program areas and their leaders, such as Compliance, BSA/Fraud, Loan Review, Information Security, and Business continuity/resiliency.
1. Receives risk data from various business units and activities around the company, reviewing and providing effective challenge to that data as necessary, aggregating the data for reporting a holistic view of risk for the company, and driving effective risk to identified gaps
2. Establishes and executes on vision and strategic objectives for the enterprise risk function in conjunction with the Chief Risk Officer, to assure that our programs stage of maturity remains commensurate with the growing needs of the company.
3. In conjunction with the Chief Risk Officer, builds and maintains an appropriate ERM framework, including taxonomies, hierarchies, risk assessment and control analysis formats and templates, and reporting methodologies.
4. Provides input development and review of the company’s risk appetite statement, and designs enterprise risk processes to help provide 2nd line of defense assurance of operating within it.
5. Forms and executes on processes for effectively collecting data on risk from around the organization, including a key risk indicator/risk appetite framework, and for reporting information about those risks in a value-added form.
6. Works with first line of defense managers andrisk personnel. This may include training and direct management of Business Line Risk Officers, on a transitional basis until that role is fully embedded and able to stand on its own within first line.
7. Provides for monitoring and effective challenge of risk information from around the company.
8. Maintains a system for ensuring effective risk response on identified gaps and issues.
9. Provides leadership and supervision to the enterprise risk staff.
10.Provides oversight, leadership and supervision to operational risk management tasks, such as 3rd party risk, and model risk management. At the appropriate stage, will assist in the process of separating the enterprise risk and operational risk functions.
11.Report to business line, senior management, and board of director leaders about risk.
12.Completes annual E-Learning Plan and Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) training as assigned and keeps up-to-date knowledge of BSA as it relates to the job function.
Secondary & Nonessential Responsibilities:
1. Performs other duties as assigned.
Solid line management of 3 FTEs, with a likelihood of that number growing. Solid or dotted line TBD oversight of up to 6 Business Line Risk Officers.
1. Works with Heartland Financial’s recruitment team to hire the most qualified and talented individuals to fill open positions.
2. Provides information and on-going feedback to department staff regarding expectations and performance.
3. Addresses and resolves all performance concerns and issues in a timely manner.
4. Works with department staff on individual professional development.
5. Prepares and conducts annual performance reviews. Completes and submits all forms associated with the review process to the department according to the review process deadline
1.Bachelor’s degree in related field (finance, business, accounting, risk management).
2.7+ years of experience within a formalized risk management function.
3.Supervisory or managerial experience in an enterprise risk or operational risk function at a mid-sized or larger bank, or in a risk advisory firm, preferred.
4.Strong organizational skills. Detail oriented.
5.Capacity to set goals for the department and for its employees, and to lead in executing them
6.Strong oral, written communication skills
7.The capacity to present complex material about risk, in a way that managers who are not risk technicians can understand and value
8.Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
9.Experience supervising in a Matrix Management Environment
1.Recognized form of certification in a risk management field, or the willingness to work towards obtaining one.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Time Type:Full time
Founded in 1981, Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is a multi-billion multibank holding company offering uniquely different banking solutions for business and personal clients. Heartland's independent community banks are chartered in the Midwestern, Southwestern and Western United States.
The Heartland vision is to differentiate itself by highlighting its uniqueness as a commercial banking organization supported by a strong retail delivery system. As one of the top 100 bank holding companies nationwide, Heartland delivers high-quality financial products and service to clients in the Midwestern, Southwestern and Western United States.
Heartland's common stock is traded through the NASDAQ® Global Select Market System under the symbol "HTLF."
EOE/AA Employer · M/F/Disabled/Vet
Member FDIC · Equal Housing Lender
Employment at Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is employment at will