Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at HOM, Inc.
We are currently seeking an experienced housing professional for the position of Housing Specialist. HOM, Inc. manages Rapid Re-Housing and Permanent Supportive Housing programs for individuals and families experiencing homelessness. These programs provide housing assistance to approximately 3300 households throughout the Phoenix metropolitan area and surrounding communities in Maricopa County. Housing Specialists manage a caseload of approximately 225 - 275 participants in various HUD supportive housing programs. Housing Specialists are responsible for the management of each participant’s entire participation in the housing program, including the initial admission and move-in, interim and annual certifications, unit transfers, and program termination. The Housing Specialist is a non-exempt position.
Working for HOM, Inc. is very rewarding, knowing that you are making a difference each and every day in the lives of those exiting homelessness. We operate as a cohesive team here with emphasis on customer service to our clients, landlords, funding partners and other team members. In addition, we truly foster a team environment; plain and simple - we help each other. There is always someone to ask a question of or to lend a helping hand. It can also be very demanding. A lot is expected from you as a Housing Specialist. You will be managing many clients every month which can become overwhelming at times. We understand the case load and the stresses involved, which is why we do what we do to make the job more enjoyable. Some of the benefits of working with us include:
- Paid Time Off Program (PTO)
- S.I.M.P.L.E. IRA (company match available)
- Paid Holidays (11.5 days)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- Employee Incentive Programs Section 125 Cafeteria Plan
- 8 hours of paid time off to perform community service each month
- Monthly chair massages
MAJOR HOUSING SPECIALIST RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Conduct initial program orientations for new program applicants
- Outreach and education to private landlord/owner community
- Verification of applicants' income, assets and expenses according to program guidelines and applicable regulations
- Calculation of Tenant Rent and Housing Assistance Payments
- Preparation of HAP Contracts and program Occupancy documents
- Maintain participant files
- Negotiate Contract Rents and lease terms initially and annually
- Assist in performance of Rent Reasonableness tests
- Conduct interim and annual re-certifications
- Attend and participate in clinical staffing's regarding housing issues for program participants
- Advocacy for program participants in community
- Problem resolution with clients, landlords, and clinical case management teams
- Process participant program terminations
Skill / Requirements
CANDIDATES SHOULD MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Excellent skills in written and oral communications
- Strong analytical skills,
- STRONG organizational and project management skills - the more obsessive you are about organization, the better. We have to dot i's and cross t's here!
- Ability to work in a team environment,
- Emphasis in customer service, and a sense of humor
- Minimum of three years experience in homeless services, assisted housing industry, property management, project management or other similar setting
- Industry certifications of Section 8 or Public Housing Occupancy or ability to obtain within one year of hire
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook as well as Internet Explorer or a similar internet browser
- Experience in working with Housing Software data systems
- Current Arizona drivers license
- Equivalent combinations of required qualifications will be considered.