Tucson Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Controller - Benson Hospital
at Tucson Medical Center
Benson Hospital Position Description
Job Title: Controller Department: Finance
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
The Controller position is responsible for ensuring efficient financial management
of the facility. This position coordinates all hospital activities concerned with
financial administration including internal and external financial reporting as well
as external auditing. The position also assists the CFO with the areas of billing
services, credit/collections, data processing, management information systems,
and purchasing as needed. Special projects related to all areas of the hospital as
also a key part of the position
1. Working under the direction of the CFO coordinates and implements accounting
systems to provide complete and accurate records of hospital assets, liabilities,
and financial transactions.
a. Checks entries posted in the general ledger by the data processor for
b. Prepares and posts adjusting entries to general ledger and the general
c. Computes and records depreciation on buildings and equipment.
d. Prepares, in a timely and accurate manner, the past month’s financial
statements, including the income statement and balance sheets.
Additionally, includes analyses which reflect variances in revenue,
expenditures, and capital asset values from the previous fiscal accounting
period. Attends monthly board meetings to present the financial
statements, and discuss relevant hospital financial issues.
2. Reviews all hospital banking accounts on a monthly basis to verify that they
3. Review the day-to-day activities of the financial and related department, and
evaluates and recommends decisions concerning these activities to the CFO.
Monitors departmental operating systems, policies and procedures to facilitate
4. Oversee the accounts payable process. Mediates disputes between the accounts
payable clerk and vendors requesting payments for services and products.
5. Works with the Business Office Manager on the accounts receivable process.
Reviews Medicare and AHCCCS strategies to ensure that revenues resulting from
these programs are maximized.
6. Makes recommendations to the CFO concerning significant variances to budget or
prior period results based on preparation of the financial statements. Utilizes
monthly financial statements to keep CFO and department heads informed as to
the hospital’s actual financial performance in relation to the budget.
7. Attends monthly department head meetings to maintain inter-departmental
communications in reference to accounting procedures, financial operations, etc.
pg. 2 Controller Updated: 10/2018 Approved HR: ADickey
8. Completes special survey and statistical reports as requested by the CFO.
9. Coordinated with the CFO to ensure the timely reporting of financial data as
required by the Federal and State government, and by other third-party
organizations. These reports include the Medicare Cost Report, the Uniform
Accounting Report, the Report to the Arizona Corporation Commission, quarterly
reports regarding grant monies, and quarterly payroll reports to name a few.
10. Assists the hospitals outside auditing firm during the annual audit of the hospital’s
accounts at fiscal year end.
11. Reviews any management letter recommendations with the CFO to develop
approaches to implement them.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. A Bachelor of Science or Master’s Degree in accounting, business/public or
hospital administration is required.
2. Previous hospital financial experience is desirable. Working knowledge of
Medicare regulations and cost report preparation is beneficial.
3. CPA or MPA required
4. Knowledge of HMS and Health Information Exchange
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of
that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this
job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with
hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may potentially be exposed
to infectious organisms during routine and emergency situations. The noise level
in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of
the associate for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any
time with or without notice.