Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Operations
at MAAC Project
|Location:||Administration - Chula Vista, CA|
|FT/PT Status:||Regular Full Time|
For additional information and to apply for this position please contact: Trevor Blair, Principal, Blair Search Partners
Working closely with our Chief Operating Officer, the new Director will play a crucial role in enhancing the organization’s operations, programs and services. Leading a team of 5, the position’s primary responsibilities include people and strategy, property management, procurement, facilities and maintenance, and information technology. The Director’s efforts will be split between South County (60%) and North County (40%). In total, the Director of Operations will oversee 35 facilities and property management for affordable housing sites (MAAC currently has 1,000 units across the county, with another 500 units under development over the next 3 years). With regards to leadership style, this position requires a solutions-oriented mindset, consistent with MAAC’s community-oriented culture, and a metrics-driven approach to tracking and assessing operational success.
Strategic priorities for the Director of Operations:
* Year 1: analyze MAAC’s current property management function and implement new strategies to optimize departmental performance; manage comprehensive IT systems and support effort to improve IT infrastructure and services; evaluate and enhance MAAC’s procurement function; forecast needs and plan for the expansion of our property management department, based upon growth and pace of RED.
* Year 2: implement a new organization-wide shared maintenance function; analyze current systems and make recommendations regarding safety and risk management; project manage commercial rehab and construction projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
Strategy & People:
* Work collaboratively with the executive and senior leadership teams, and actively participate in strategic planning efforts.
* Establish operational systems, plans, and initiatives to meet organizational goals and objectives.
* Provide day-to-day leadership and supervision of multiple program and administrative facilities.
* Devote significant time to developing, coaching, and empowering direct reports.
* Supervise staff, with responsibilities including performances evaluations and disciplinary actions.
* Establish performance metrics and personal development targets.
* Produce reports for Board Committees, MAAC’s Board of Directors, and/or Executive Staff; this position may serve as staff to Board Committees.
* Oversee property management of affordable housing sites.
* Oversight of housing financial performance, lease ups, and vacancy rates.
* Ensure the structural, health, safety, and environmental conditions at all MAAC sites comply with applicable federal, state, and local codes, regulations and standards.
* Participate in ongoing audits, monitoring efforts, and direct regular inspections for all sites and facilities.
* Determines costs for services and direct/approve purchasing requirements.
* Oversee facility operations and maintenance expenditures.
* Assist in analyzing, planning and developing program manuals and budgets for facilities operations and maintenance.
* Assist in the preparation, negotiation, and monitoring for complex contracts and agreements.
* Negotiate contracts with vendors and contractors for a diverse set of services, covering the geographic and programmatic breadth of our organization.
* Coordinate bid procedures and repair/renovation activities from initial concept to project completion.
* Oversee facilities maintenance and repair activities across the organization’s 33 facilities, including routine and comprehensive custodial maintenance of all buildings and grounds including electrical, HVAC, janitorial, landscaping/gardening, pest control, plumbing and security.
* Create a Master Preventative Maintenance System Plan for all housing properties and facilities.
* Lead all facility master planning efforts, including capital improvement projects, lease negotiations, office space utilization, storage needs, parking facilities, relocations and facility closures.
* Develop timelines and provide oversight for special construction and remodeling projects.
* Coordinate the response to service requests, coordinate resources, and implement the set up and take down of furniture and equipment for a wide variety of events.
* Respond to emergency calls for cleaning, burglary, or any mechanical failure.
* Implement an inventory system across all warehouses agency wide.
* Supervision, leadership and coordination between in- house IT staff and outsourced IT support.
* Stay current on innovations and best practices in relation to technology integration.
* Increase efficiency through streamlining systems, contracts, procurement and vendor management.
* Integrate technology platforms and systems to support the work in both administrative and programmatic areas.
* Manage and enhance the end-to-end security architecture of applications, technologies and services.
Attributes & Work Style:
* Passionate: driven by MAAC’s mission to maximize self-sufficiency for families and individuals; keeps the well being of those MAAC serves at the heart of all programmatic efforts.
* Servant-Leader: preference for leading from the front, pitching in to assist at any level, as circumstances require.
* Coaching and Mentoring: demonstrated ability to motivate and develop staff.
* Team Player: fosters a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment.
* Growth Mindset: says "yes" to appropriate, new opportunities and ideas for MAAC.
* Analytical: ability to carefully study issues, identify trends and formulate new ideas.
* Strategic: agile thinker who communicates a compelling vision for success.
* Tact & Diplomacy: patient, willing and able to have the difficult conversations as required.
* Positivity: charismatic, warm and welcoming; a true "people-person."
* Reflective: skilled at receiving and giving feedback and performance critiques.
* Metrics-Driven: an innovative thinker, pairing ideas with solutions and measurable outcomes.
* Perseverant: sees things through to completion; especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
* Meticulous: superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
* Communicative: strong written and oral communication skills.
* Planning and Process Management: exceptional mind for optimizing workflow and managing people, systems, procedures, and programs.
* Community-minded: skilled at connecting with people across the community, and possesses a high level of emotional intelligence.
* Expertise in contracts, facilities, and property management required.
* 7+ years in leadership or senior management positions.
* Demonstrated strategic planning experience.
* Track record of success with managing systems, operations, and large teams.
* Prior experience with unions and labor agreements a plus.
* Familiarity with regulations and laws relating to the financial administration of non-profit programs of similar size and scope to MAAC.
* Bilingual Spanish a plus.
* CA Contractor’s License also a plus, but if not in current possession, ability to obtain within 6 months on the job.
* Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
Union Membership ( if applicable):