Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Project Manager-Real Estate Development
at MAAC Project
|Department:||Housing & Real Estate Development|
|Location:||Administration - Chula Vista, CA|
|FT/PT Status:||Regular Full Time|
Under direction, the Real Estate Development Project Manager performs a wide variety of tasks directly related to the development and preservation of affordable housing. The incumbent seeks and finds opportunities for developing new housing projects and coordinates all activities relating to a project’s development from acquisition through to completion of construction, occupancy and cost certification. The incumbent ensures compliance with local, state and federal housing regulations and guidelines and compliance with human resources, fiscal, RED and MAAC policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Identifies and evaluates potential development sites; performs feasibility analysis for vacant land or existing buildings for potential acquisition, construction and or rehabilitation
- Develops project proformas and performs thorough and complete financial feasibility analysis for existing and potential sites
- Conducts and participates in periodic construction site inspections
- Prepares applications for funding, regulatory approvals, and other matters related to affordable housing development, coordinates loan closings and prepares draw requests
- Coordinates and prepares packets for lenders, vendors, consultants, and other related parties.
- Solicits bids and coordinates the work of professional consultants
- Manages all aspects of financing developments; identifies funding sources and completes loan/funding applications (TCAC, CDLAC, HCIDLA, LACDC, AHP); secures predevelopment, construction and permanent financing
- Negotiates with equity partners on investment terms and conditions in the syndication of low-income housing tax credits and other financing programs
- Obtains project approvals from planning and building departments and other regulatory agencies
- Prepares, updates and adheres to project schedules
- Reviews and implements tenant relocation plans
- Oversees project design development and the preparation of project plans and specifications
- Assists in managing the construction process, including meeting lender and governmental requirements and processing of pay application and loan disbursement requests
- Conducts due diligence tasks to safeguard the organization’s investments and corporate integrity
- Meets with Senior Leadership staff on a regular basis to discuss issues associated with the development process
- Schedules and manages construction/draw request meetings; supervises activities of projects consultants on a project by project basis; monitors construction activities
to ensure quality construction and appropriate cost controls; conducts due diligence tasks to safeguard the organization’s investments and corporate integrity
- Maintains accurate and complete records, including project progress reports; tracks and manages project costs; reviews loans, grant and other related financing documents
- Researches and resolves project issues; garners community based support for existing and potential projects
- Prepares and/or assists with the preparation of presentations before public agencies, elected officials, community groups and financial institutions; attends, presents information, and participates as necessary, at city council, council housing committee, or other governmental agency department meetings when project specific issues or matters related to affordable housing are being discussed
- Develops and provides complex reports to management, performs special analyses, planning, and special studies on which management bases major decisions
- Ensures that all functions supervised are in compliance with complex Federal and State County and Local laws, rules, regulations and local codes and standards and MAAC policies; implements changes to processes/practices required by labor contracts, legislation and/or state and federal guidelines
- Demonstrates cultural competence by interacting respectfully and effectively to people of all cultures, languages, classes, races, ethnic backgrounds, religions, and other diversity factors in a manner that recognizes, affirms, and values the worth of individuals, families, and communities and protects and preserves the dignity of each
- Participates in the development and implementation of strategic and business plans, goals and objectives and in the development and application of new processes and technologies to achieve higher efficiency, productivity and customer service in applicable work processes
- Assists in the planning, organizing, supervision and evaluation of the program/activities of assigned area; works with assigned and subordinate staff and develops, implements and monitors service area and work plans to achieve assigned goals, objectives and educational outcomes; contributes to development of and monitoring of performance against the available resources; participates in developing, implementing and evaluating work programs, plans, processes, systems and procedures to achieve MAAC and departmental goals, objectives and performance measures consistent with division quality and service expectations.
- Plans and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; establishes performance requirements and personal development targets; regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; recommends compensation and provides other rewards to recognize performance; subject to management concurrence, takes disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with MAAC’s human resources policies and procedures and labor contract provisions.
- Undertakes and performs related tasks and duties as assigned
- Principles and practices of real estate, including tenant rights and responsibilities and Project Management
- Solid understanding of financing sources such as TCAC, LIHTC, MHP, AHP, etc.
- Solid understanding of financial proformas to include the initial development of pro-formas
- Standard methods, techniques used in project feasibility analysis, and in preparation and monitoring of construction projects and project financing
- Applicable federal, State and local laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures; knowledge of recent funding programs, regulations and requirements.
- Standard American English, including grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and word usage.
- Modern office procedures and practices
- Housing and operational policies and procedures and the ability to articulate and explain to others
- Record-keeping practices, legal requirements and electronic records storage systems
- Balance, prioritize and complete a variety of tasks and projects
- Plan, organize, estimate, coordinate, assign, review and evaluate the work of others
- Coordinate work assignments with peers, subordinates and outside agencies
- Operate a computer terminal and computer using word processing, spreadsheet, data base and other business software
- Organize, set priorities and exercise sound, expert independent judgment within area of responsibility
- Interpret, apply, explain and reach sound decisions in accordance with MAAC and division policies and procedures and labor contract provisions
- Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing
- Prepare clear, concise and comprehensive correspondence, reports, studies and other written materials
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive and complex issues and situations
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, tenants, consultants, representatives of other agencies, community members, city officials, and others encountered in the course of work
- Make effective public presentations before large and small audiences.
- Listens attentively to others.Asks clarifying questions to gain a better understanding of the other person’s views and underlying assumptions.
- Works effectively in a team environment and actively participates in joint problem solving; willingly cooperates with co-workers.
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Attends work consistently and punctually.Arrives to meetings prepared and on time; honors work commitments; follows through on what was agreed upon; meets deadlines.
- Honors the private and confidential matters of co-workers.Protects the proprietary information of MAAC systems.
- Follows rules, regulations, and policies; positively contributes to implementing changes.
- Deals with issues directly, in a respectful and timely manner.Focuses on resolving the issue while not criticizing the person. Follows rules, regulations, and policies; positively contributes to implementing changes.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year accredited college or university in urban planning, public policy, public administration, real estate development, business administration or a closely related field AND at least three (3) years of progressively responsible affordable housing development experience, with a preference for previous experience in government-funded projects or developments including the use of tax credits and a minimum of one (1) year of successful management and supervisory experience, AND
- Knowledge of basic real estate principles and practices, including tenant rights and responsibilities, and real estate accounting practices or an equivalent amount of education, knowledge and experience.
- Familiarity with public and private housing finance programs, tenant and operation subsidies, and sound comprehension of program rules and regulations, including, but not limited to: CTCAC, HOME, CDBG, USDA, and AHP.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Project and databases: experience with Yardi is highly desirable.
- Course work, or experience in, technical writing or similar highly desirable, but not required.
Union Membership ( if applicable):