Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Director - Senior & Adult Services
at Maricopa County
- Position Overview
The Assistant Director provides leadership and manages the operations of the Senior and Adult Services Division. This position is responsible for administering federal, state, and non-profit programs and grants, including the Senior Adult Independent Living case management program.
- Position Qualifications
Minimum education and/or experience:
Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Social Work or other related field and six (6) years professional program administration and/or implementation, fiscal management and grants management experience; three (3) of which must include supervisory and/or managerial experience administering large programs.
Specialized training, certifications, and/or other special requirements:
Must possess, or have the ability to obtain a valid Arizona driver license at time of hire. Must complete background check and fingerprint identification upon hire to successfully secure and maintain Level 1 DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card. Successful candidates must also complete an exam that includes screening for TB and be free of communicable disease as required by Federal and State regulations.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Principles and practices of management/supervision, public and social service administration, social service program planning and delivery, and personnel and budget management, and procurement and contract management.
- Or the ability to learn, senior and adult services programs, Older Americans Act, home and community-based systems and services, care giver support, and services to persons with disabilities.
- Techniques and procedures relating to grant application and reporting.
- Or the ability to learn, Federal, State, County and local governance structures, laws, ordinances, rules and regulations related to social service programs.
- Public and private sector cultures.
- Performing a full range of supervisory responsibilities over assigned staff utilizing appropriate management and supervision principles.
- Effective verbal and written communication, creating and conducting presentations.
- Building and maintaining internal/external partnerships and coalitions of support.
- Negotiating, mediating, conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Management and implementation of multiple projects and initiatives.
- Communicate information with Department Executive Team, Division management, staff, and external clients and partners.
- Provide leadership and work as a team.
- Develop and monitor the effectiveness of plans for achieving needed results and allocating resources.
- Analyze and solve complex problems.
- Identify and make changes in support of program provision.
- Take initiative preventing and/or resolving problems and work independently.
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously, establish priorities, meet deadlines, exhibit attention to detail, maintain confidentiality, be deadline-oriented and think critically.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively within the division and department as well as with other county departments and external partners.
- Implement innovative best practice approaches and continuous process improvements.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the Maricopa County Human Service Department Senior and Adult Services Division.
- Develop knowledge of county and department programs and services.
- Work independently to accomplish goals and responsibilities.
- Train, monitor and engage the work of others.
Preferred education and/or experience:
Master's degree in Public Administration, Social Work or other related field. Experience administering human service programs in a public, governmental agency. Experience managing professional social workers, case managers or like positions.
Work is performed in an office environment. Requires travel to and from job related locations during the course of a scheduled workday; subject to County policies regarding use of County vehicles and/or private vehicles used on County business. Must be able to travel out of town for training and conferences.
- Essential Job Tasks
- Provides overall administrative and program direction for the Senior and Adult Services Division (SASD), including planning, implementation, grant reporting, staff supervision, budget and financial management of all SASD grant programs.
- Leads a coordinated case management system delivered by case managers and case aides to seniors and adults with disabilities referred by the Area Agency on Aging through data driven and client-focused service delivery methods.
- Develops and implements the departments and division's strategic goals and operational/budget objectives.
- Provides guidance/technical assistance and policy for senior and adult programs within Maricopa County.
- Conducts regular assessments and reviews to ensure delivery of effective, high-quality senior and adult program services throughout the service delivery area.
- Supervises and participates in the identification of funding opportunities and preparation of applications for funding.
- Develops and maintains effective intra and interdepartmental working relationships.
- Interfaces with elected and appointed officials of local, state, and federal governmental jurisdictions as well as CEOs of major service providers to identify goals and objectives.
- Professionally represents the division and the department in both internal and external meetings.
- Actively participates on the HSD Executive Team.
- Creates program policies and procedures for the Senior and Adult Services Division.
- Ensures an environment committed to continuous improvement, efficiency and excellence in service delivery.
- Oversees and monitors change management, project management, ensures policies, organizational structure, business processes and management practices align with and support an innovative, integrated, client-centered, outcome focused culture.
- Implements programmatic and operational best practices are to achieve effective and efficient service delivery.
- Performs full range of supervisory responsibility over assigned staff, including but not limited to: establishing workload standards, determining work priorities, developing performance plans, monitoring and evaluating performance, coaching staff, and hiring new staff.
- Ensures effective staff management of all division staff (30 positions), including ensuring adherence to department and county policies and procedures.
- Engages supervised staff through one-on-one meetings, team meetings, and regular communication on expectations and supportive performance feedback.
- Tasks listed are a representation and not an all-inclusive list of essential job tasks for this position.
- Selection Procedure
The hiring authority will select the successful candidate based on departmental needs.
All offers of employment made to new hires and rehires at Maricopa County are contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer, pre-employment thorough background investigation. A background investigation is conducted on a current employee who changes to a Safety Sensitive Position or one having the potential for serious adverse impact on the integrity or efficiency of the County. These requirements do not pertain to employees of elected officials who undergo background investigation processes administered through their respective offices.
Typically successful candidates are hired at a salary rate, up to midpoint of the range, based on applicable experience, internal equity and budgetary allowances.