Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Head of Privacy Compliance - Americas, Director
at MUFG Americas
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 10025620-WD-SECONDARY-45
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2018) with total assets of over $2.9 trillion (106.2 (JPY) as of March 30, 2018) and 150,000 colleagues in more than 50 countries. In the U.S., we're 13,000 strong, working together to positively impact every customer, organization, and community we serve. We achieve this by delivering on our values, putting people first, fostering long-term relationships built on honesty and mutual understanding, and inspiring the best in each other. This is all part of our inclusive, high-performing culture supported by Total Rewards that include our cash balance pension plan. Join a team that's working to fulfill its vision to be the world's most trusted financial group.
The Head of Privacy Compliance Americas (Head of Privacy Compliance) reports to the Global Chief Privacy Officer and works closely with the America's Deputy Chief Compliance Officer. The Head of Privacy Compliance will lead the implementation of the Global Privacy Program in the Americas and provide regional leadership respecting privacy related topics. He/she will also assist the global program with reporting metrics and provide regional input on policies and procedures. The Head of Privacy Compliance manages a team of compliance professionals and interacts to a significant extent with Line of Business Compliance Officers and centralized utilities providing testing, reporting and training services in order to implement the Global Privacy Program in the Americas.
- Lead the Americas Privacy Compliance Group, whose representative tasks will include PIA/DPIA review collaboration with line of business privacy leads in the Americas, support of global and regional privacy projects, development of global Privacy Notices, and administrative support for privacy incidents
- Provide regional input in developing and enhancing privacy compliance-related policies, procedures, processes and internal controls in support of the Global Privacy Program, Americas Compliance program and the compliance programs overseen by Line of Business Compliance Officers
- Provide reports and advice to the Global Chief Privacy Officer and Global Privacy Program leads, as well as to committees and senior management on regional privacy related issues, trends, exceptions, violations and appropriateness of corrective actions within the Americas
- Maintain a current awareness of the privacy regulatory environment throughout the Americas (including Canada, Latin America and the U.S.), and demonstrate a strong working knowledge of US state and federal financial privacy laws and regulations
- Keep regional Business/Support Unit Management informed of pertinent privacy compliance-related information
- Research regional privacy compliance issues and provide interpretations and clarifications
- Coordinate remedial measures in response to issues raised in compliance examinations, audits and quality control testing
- Interact and coordinate frequently with privacy compliance officers in other MUFG regions
- Interact frequently with regulators with respect to examinations and ongoing supervision matters
- 10+ years of compliance experience in the banking/financial services industry with an emphasis on privacy compliance
- 10+ years of management/supervisory experience in the compliance function of a larger bank
- Strong working knowledge of banking products and services
- Significant experience interfacing successfully with banking/financial services industry regulators
- Strong working knowledge of compliance-related laws, regulations and regulatory/legislative processes
- Bachelor's degree required.
- CIPP/US required, CIPM preferred
Critical Competencies and Attributes for Success
The successful candidate:
- Is a seasoned professional with a breadth of compliance knowledge and experience with an operational mindset and the ability to effectively integrate regional privacy compliance in the business in a practical and effective manner.
- Possesses a proven track record as an effective leader of dispersed teams who can manage and lead through change. He or she will operate effectively within a complex, global and highly matrixed financial institution must have the ability to build collaborative and productive working relationships, consensus and a sphere of influence with business teams and others across all functions.
- Has a proven ability to support a global program, harmonizing global, regional and local objectives and mandates within his/her organization as required. Also, a highly developed sense of judgment, risk management skills and ability to balance business needs, regulatory obligations and reputational risks in an objective, practical way and a demonstrated ability to both grasp the big picture and attend to details.
- Possesses broad-based leadership skills. Has a demonstrated ability to motivate and engage employees, build teams and relationships and engender a sense of results-orientation, personal and organizational accountability, independence and fairness among colleagues and employees, particularly in a diverse environment. Demonstrated ability to identify and develop talent.
- Fearlessly takes on all issues and challenges. Comfortably confronts and works through conflict; delivers constructive feedback and messages without hesitation; deals promptly and fairly with problem performers; lets everyone know where they stand; thrives in crises and is energized by tough challenges; not afraid to make tough decisions; challenges the status quo.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to make decisions and work under tight deadlines
- A team player
- A forward, innovative thinker and change leader who can identify and capitalize on new trends
- Strong network within the industry
- Highly motivated, energetic, personable and comfortable working closely with executive management
- Thorough and able to handle a wide range of issues varying in complexity
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!