Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
4429 - Interior Designer - Senior - Facilities Management
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Pima County Facilities Management Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 51
A Resume is required and must be uploaded with completed application.
Supervises and participates in the development and enforcement of interior design standards for new construction, remodel and tenant improvement projects under the management and operational control of the Facilities Management Department. This classification is distinguished from the Interior Designer classification by the emphasis on supervisory control and responsibility for creating aesthetically pleasing, ergonomically and functionally efficient interior environments through the use of furniture, fixtures, equipment and other materials.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Supervises and participates in the development and enforcement of interior design standards for use by staff and outsourced design consultants in the new construction, remodel and tenant improvement projects under the management and operational control of the Facilities Management Department;
Provides guidance, direction and assistance to staff and outsourced design consultants in performing the functions and responsibilities of their positions relative to the interior design, layout and construction of ongoing and proposed projects;
Supervises, distributes work load and evaluates the performance of assigned staff;
Investigates, identifies and documents the interior design needs of clients and provides guidance to staff performing similar tasks;
Analyzes the identified interior design needs and requirements of clients and works with clients in developing and proposing options and solutions;
Supervises and participates in developing design documents including contract working drawings, specifications and budget estimates using PC-based productivity software programs and Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) format;
Ensures interior design component of project plans meet applicable building code requirements and state and federal guidelines;
Monitors performance of outsourced design consultants, including, contractor-supplied materials and installation services;
Establishes and maintains project files including verbal, written or graphic communications necessary for compliance with the Pima County Procurement Code;
Supervises, participates and provides guidance to staff in coordinating the procurement of labor, materials, furniture, fixtures or equipment in compliance with the Pima County Procurement Code and established County design standards;
Supervises and participates in the conformance review process for project invoices prior to processing invoices for payment;
Provides guidance in maintaining current project budgets for periodic management reports;
Prepares oral and written activity reports.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- principles and practices of interior and/or architectural design including aesthetics, psychology of space planning and ergonomic considerations;
- interior construction practices including building systems and their components, building codes and standards, equipment, materials, furnishings and working drawings/specifications;
- contracting practices relative to the construction industry;
- project design and resource allocation/coordination;
- practices and techniques of Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD);
- principles, practices and techniques of developing construction cost-estimates;
- principles practices and techniques of project management;
- effective supervision and communication techniques.
- researching, analyzing and applying the requirements of building codes, zoning ordinances, development plan regulations, product manual specifications and technical standards to develop and refine design parameters in solving the needs of the project;
- using CAD architectural drafting to review, create or modify design documents;
- writing Interior Design and Architectural performance specifications using the CSI format;
- using computer-based productivity software tools such as word processors, spreadsheets and data bases;
- establishing rapport and effective working relationships with clients in order to expeditiously and efficiently maximize the ability to extricate project needs and requirements from clients.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or professional trade school with a major in interior design or architecture and four years of professional level work experience as an Interior Designer, Interior Design Assistant or Architect.
(2) Professional certification from the National Council for Interior Design Qualifications (NCIDQ) as an Interior Designer and two years of post-certified professional level work experience as an Interior Designer, Interior Design Assistant or Architect.
(3) Eight years of professional level work experience as an Interior Designer, Interior Design Assistant or Architect.
(Two years of relevant experience may be substituted for candidates with an Associate's degree in interior design.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Current NCIDQ certification.
- Experience/knowledge working with multidisciplinary design teams and outside consultants for project coordination, design review and implementation of design standards.
- Experience with modular systems furniture design and installation.
- Experience/knowledge developing design and product standards (including CSI specifications) for commercial facilities based on lifecycle, durability, ease of maintenance and design consistency.
- Experience/knowledge providing specifications and scope of work documents for bid/contract solicitations and contract review.
- Experience with interior design to include government, legal, judicial, law enforcement and occasional medical offices, community centers and libraries.
- Experience managing interior design projects from inception through completion.
- Experience/knowledge with a working level of competence in Microsoft Word, Excel, Auto-CAD 2015 (or later version), Adobe Acrobat or Bluebeam Revu.
- Experience/working knowledge of current building codes.
- Resume required.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: Ability to obtain jail pass is required. Due to potential need for access to law enforcement, detention or correctional facilities, some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation by law enforcement agencies.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by the appointing authority subject to the needs and responsibilities of the position.