Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Business Analyst (4741 - IT - Applications Developer - Senior)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 60
We are seeking a smart, motivated, outgoing individual for a Business Analyst role in the Pima County Information Technology Department (ITD). When applying, pay particular attention to the description and the Preferred Qualifications, addressing each qualification in your application. ITD Business Analysts work as part of teams focused on supporting a set of related Pima County departments. The scope of responsibilities covers the full range of information systems from the desktop to the data center. The ideal candidate has a working knowledge of desktop systems, web apps, collaboration & productivity tools and relational databases. To compliment these skills, we are looking for contributors who also have a functional understanding of how local and SaaS enterprise applications are deployed to support core business processes. Pima County understands the importance of data-driven decision making. We're looking for candidates who share this view and who can help our business units realize the full potential of their information systems. Pima County is a dynamic and diverse organization of connected teams. Finding solutions and exploring new opportunities is a cooperation between business leaders and ITD. Preferred applicants will have advanced communications skills and a ready ability to connect with others. Leading group discussions, having one-on-one consultations, preparing clear and complete specifications, effectively communicating in writing, and owning assignments through completion are essential skills for this position. We offer an opportunity to leverage your strengths, develop new ones, work in a team environment and advance your career. You bring enthusiasm, professionalism, and a desire to get better every day. Join us as we make a difference in our community by enabling and advancing the mission of Pima County Government.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Customer Segment (includes Elected Officials) Design, Maintenance and Support
Develops individual and/or group goals and is responsible for the efficient, accurate execution of goals in accordance with target dates and budgets;
Assists, reviews and approves other technology personnel plans and specifications and analyzes, designs, programs, implements and trains end users on automation solutions;
Provides independent technical and analytical service on specific, complex application systems involving the design, development, construction and on-going support of systems, processes or methods;
Involved in all technical aspects related to systems and on-going support services, and is assigned independent project responsibility;
Assists in the development, deployment and enforcement of application administration procedures and practices;
Assists in updating various standards manuals for the systems development life cycle to ensure data integrity, security, system performance and successful business system deployment and benefit attainment;
Leads troubleshooting and resolution of complex application support issues;
Leads the annual upgrading of commercial off the shelf (COTS) applications within assigned area of responsibility;
Monitors assigned applications environment for proper operation within required performance, function and availability expectations and leads root cause analysis where service level agreement (SLA) issues are discovered;
Co-leads continuous improvement efforts.
Works with project teams on medium to enterprise-level projects to understand customer requirements and define process improvements or application system solutions;
Works with project managers and team to define:
- business processes and identify improvement opportunities and solutions
- process improvement and application deployment strategies and schedules
- required post project implementation operational skill sets and resource demands
Coordinates and executes customer segment application environment deployments and associated decommissioning.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- programming languages and associated web application development tools applicable to area of assignment;
- end user office, email and programming tools;
- software development and applications programming applicable to area of assignment;
- principles and techniques of systems analysis and design;
- development and maintenance of data communications, security and privacy measures;
- principles and techniques of database design;
- industry security standards and procedures and IT best practices for application development;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident and Problem Management environment;
- principles and techniques of effective teamwork;
- project management methodologies and technologies.
- creating moderately complex documents and spreadsheets containing tables and graphs;
- mail merging documents, applying page setup functions (margins, page numbers, footers, headers), creating an index and/or table of contents using search & replace and printing labels and envelopes;
- creating a form, adding form headers and footers, changing page layouts, creating reports from a table and creating mailing labels;
- sorting, finding and filtering messages, setting rules, sharing contact information, creating custom forms, working with permissions and journals;
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests simultaneously;
- written and verbal communications;
- operating as a member of a team;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- understanding client application, business requirements and concepts;
- communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- employing full systems life cycle development;
- gathering requirements, analyzing business problems, automating business processes and implementing application solutions.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and two years work experience in software development and maintenance.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and four years of work experience in software development and maintenance.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience interpreting business requests to determine underlying requirements and translating them into actionable specifications.
- Experience supporting enterprise applications both local and cloud-based.
- Experience in business process analysis, illustration and optimization.
- Understanding of relational database concepts and basic SQL skills.
- Experience supporting users of common business applications and desktop systems.
- Experience connecting with and coordinating vendor support for commercial software.
- Experience with collaboration tools such as online meeting suites, SharePoint, shared folders, surveys, websites, shared calendars, wikis and blogs.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services' review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation, polygraph examination and/or pre-/post appointment drug-testing by law enforcement agencies due to the need for access to law enforcement, corrections or court facilities, property and associated confidential and sensitive information, documents, communications and data base systems.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, elevated or below grade platforms. All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Other physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.