Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Vice President Procurement and Purchasing
at Progress Residential
Vice President Procurement and Purchasing
- Job ID
- Job Location
Progress Residential® is one of the largest providers of high-quality, single-family rental homes in the United States. With more than 30,000 homes in fifteen of the country’s fastest-growing markets, our residents appreciate the flexibility, freedom and convenience of living in a single-family home without the obligations of home ownership. Progress is committed to making the home rental process easy and enjoyable for the 100,000 residents we serve by empowering our team members and investing in innovative systems and technology.
Over the past three years our portfolio has doubled in size and we have added new executive leadership, including the recent appointment of Charles “Chaz” Mueller to Chief Executive Officer. We see increasing demand for professionally managed single-family rental homes and anticipate continued growth.
Progress Residential has a national footprint with our executive office located in Dallas, Texas, our corporate office in Scottsdale, Arizona and regional offices in Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Memphis, Miami, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, Raleigh, Sarasota, and Tampa.
The Vice President Procurement and Purchasing will report to the EVP and General Counsel and work closely with the senior leadership team. This position will be responsible for leading all procurement and purchasing efforts to efficiently and effectively enable business units and functional partners to maximize the value they receive from suppliers. This position can be located in either Scottsdale or Dallas.
The VP Procurement and Purchasing will work with each business unit to lead centralized direct and indirect sourcing and procurement efforts. This will include working with the internal stakeholder from initial need identification to final goods or service delivery to meet stakeholder needs. The VP Procurement and Purchasing will establish relationships with senior-most budget holders to ensure that procurement gets aligned with their particular objectives, and to enlist their support in participating in supply base improvement efforts.
- Develop an organizational procurement strategy and create and manage short, mid, and long-term goals and objectives for procurement and purchasing
- Assist each department with the management of the purchasing and cost estimating functions for all purchasing activities, trade contractor relations and contract administration
- Create and improve best-practice based processes
- Manage business process outsourcing activities
- Assist each department with Identifying and realizing cost-saving and cost-reduction opportunities
- Assist with the selection and manage all procurement systems
- Assist each department with the management of procurement staff in and across sourcing, contracting, transactional purchasing, supplier management, and miscellaneous internal procurement support activities.
- Assist each department with the management of the skills and competency development of procurement staff, including training development and knowledge management capabilities
- Lead cross-functional teaming across other business functions and initiatives as needed for procurement activities
- Assist each department with the creation and management of budget for categories under management – and for procurement itself.
- Develop benchmarks and scorecards to be used for continuous improvement
- Assist each department with the negotiation and contract for all labor and materials associated with the portfolio
- Establish service level needs and evaluate criteria for products, subcontractors, and material suppliers for all departments and functions
- Assist the Vendor Management Team with sourcing new and better products, subcontractors and material suppliers for all departments and functions
- Monitor and report (on a regular basis) on suppliers and subcontractors and material increases/decreases
- Provide and maintain competitive bid and value reports for each supplier and each trade by market
- Establish, maintain, and keep current standard operating procedures for the Purchasing Department
Pivotal Experience & Expertise
- At least a Bachelor's degree in supply chain management, economics, finance, operations, engineering or a related area, with a Master's degree preferred
- At least 10 years of senior procurement/supply management experience and operational management experience
- Team player at executive levels to collaborate with business units and functional partners like IT, finance, HR, legal, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of the home renovation process preferred
- Experience with modern sourcing and procurement systems
- Familiarity with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as understanding of standard contractual terms and conditions to mitigate legal risk
- Change management skills and self-awareness to take varying approaches with a dynamic set of stakeholders
- Knowledge of enterprise risk management and business continuity planning
- Analytical mindset, but also creativity to seek, encourage and find non-traditional approaches that have historically “boxed-in” procurement
- Strong organizational skills, including planning, scheduling and follow-up capabilities
- Strong negotiation and relationship building skills
- Strong strategic mindset, planning and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written skills, and ability to communicate clearly and concisely and even better listening skills that allows for getting the “voice of the internal customer” and to understand the company culture and how to best communicate procurement’s value
- Ability to “sell” procurement’s value and to run procurement as a services business like any other well-run professional services business
- Highly motivated self-starter required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications and other scope of work software
- Exceptional understanding and reading of renovation/construction documents preferred
- While not mandatory, it is desirable that candidates who do not have a degree in supply chain management or operations management possess an industry recognized certification such as the CPSM from the Institute for Supply Management or a near equivalent
Culture Fit & Impact
- Drives to win in a team-based atmosphere
- Possesses a transparent and timely communication style
- Holds others accountable and takes responsibility for one’s own actions
- Possesses sense of humility and professionalism to ensure success across the company
- Has a high degree of entrepreneurial spirit and takes initiative; not afraid to “roll up sleeves”
- Unquestionable integrity and personal values
- A strategic thinker, who can see beyond what is and imagine what should be
- Ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent business acumen combined with creative problem solving and analytical skills
- Results-driven, disciplines and hard-working, with a focus on setting and meeting deadlines and budgets
- Ability to adjust rapidly and frequently to new situations, able to help others accept and adapt to change
- Good balance between entrepreneurial creativity and tenacity
- Experience with, and sophisticated approach to, multi-stakeholder relationship management
- Strong leadership capabilities with a high level of maturity and emotional intelligence
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent
What you can expect from us:
Progress Residential® offers the financial and non-financial incentives you would expect from an innovative real estate investment and management firm:
- In addition to outstanding training, we host quarterly summits and town hall meetings to encourage growth, knowledge sharing and a good time. After all, it’s about progress, not perfection.
- We offer competitive compensation, including a performance-based bonus.
- Our generous benefits package includes comprehensive healthcare coverage for you and your family, parental leave, paid time off, and 9 paid holidays.
This brief summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned at any time based upon Company need.
Progress Residential® is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.