Ryder System, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Service Manager II - Fleet Maintenance
at Ryder System, inc.
- Requisition ID
- Maintenance Management
- Employment Type
- Regular - Full Time (4)
- Travel Requirements
- Position Code
For 85 years, Ryder has provided customers around the world with integrated transportation, logistics, and supply chain management solutions that enhance the way they do business. Building and maintaining a fleet takes time, resources, and expertise few companies can spare.
At Ryder, we offer outstanding incentives:
- Generous Paid Time Off!
- Excellent Benefits!
- PPE & Uniforms provided at no cost!
- Free Job training and development!
- Career advancement strategies that will help you secure your future!
We are a fortune 500 company with 800+ locations and 36,000 employees across the US! Employee satisfaction is part of our culture. Apply today and see why a job with Ryder is what you’ve been looking for.
The Service Manager II (SM II) manages the operations and personnel for locations with up to 131 - 370 equivalent truck units. May have Shift Supervisors, Technicians-In-Charge, and/or Customer Service Coordinators, as well as Technicians, Service Employees and/or a Parts Responsible Person to support the needs of assigned location. The Service Manager II must be able to accomplish results through direct involvement and limited delegation of work and responsibilities, thus ensuring business objectives and labor requirements are met. The Service Manager II is responsible for ensuring the customer's needs are being met while balancing financial, operating, quality, safety and asset targets against the requirements of the business measured through leadership competencies and business metrics. This position is responsible for the management of the location(s) performance against metrics to meet and/or exceed assigned objectives. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the location is in compliance with and properly executing all key company processes, Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Repair Practices. As with all FMS Shop positions, the Service Manager II is responsible for adhering to all Ryder Maintenance Operations policies and procedures. This may also be a development position to prepare incumbents for the Senior Service Manager role.
- College degree preferred (Associates or Bachelor's) or 3-6 years experience in a maintenance operations environment required
- Demonstrated success in a Ryder role may be substituted for this requirement
- Operations Management Responsible for the execution of work analysis, vehicle planning and scheduling, scheduling and assigning work to technicians, productivity tracking and optimization, shift and shop meetings, and RO review and approval
- Directly involved in Labor Planning by evaluating incoming work and allocating resources, balancing shift schedules, and level loading work load to maximize efficiency and productivity
- Responsible for optimizing labor at the shop, and ensuring the optimal mix of straight time, O/T and Outside Repair
- Responsible for optimizing shift patterns to match supply of qualified tech hours versus the availability of equipment based upon customer operating hours
- Oversee the execution of the Automated Planning System (APS)
- Labor Management Provides management, training and development of all personnel assigned
- Responsible for Performance Management of all assigned personnel. Responsible for successful development and execution of the Technical Training Plan in coordination with the Field Training Team
- Ensure TOPS plan is prioritized based upon Breakdown, Rework and Running Cost trends
- Makes recommendations for future staffing based on changes to the business environment
- Responsible for Recruiting, Hiring, On-boarding, Payroll, and Succession Planning
- Customer Management Directly responsible for customer relationship management to include issue resolutions, customer satisfaction, and retention, as well as ensuring uptime
- Responsible for execution of customer communication protocol
- Responsible for optimizing vehicle maintenance cycle time and ensuring that the shop meets or exceeds Delivered in Time Promised objectives based upon customer requirements
- Collaborate with Sales Team to develop the service requirement section of the Customer Care Plan to ensure effective delivery of service
- Conduct customer visits and annual reviews as required by the Customer Care Plan
- Financial Management Responsible for implementing cost control measures related to maintenance operations budget and location P&L statement to meet short and long term financial goals
- Directly responsible for successful execution of Maintenance Initiatives to attain or exceed specified financial targets. Responsible for the optimization of net maintenance cost per unit
- Responsible for Customer Retention and Maintenance CSI through optimal execution of the Maintenance Promise
- Work with vendor sourcing group to identify potential and preferred vendors for specific facilities and vehicle maintenance services
- Responsible for ensuring accuracy of third party invoices and the quality of worked outsourced to vendors
- Responsible for Payroll, Purchase Order approval and invoice reconciliation, and fuel reconciliation, all liquid inventories to include fuel, DEF and oil
- Responsible for the successful execution of the customer bill back process to include identification, review and approval of bill back opportunities
- Responsible for ensuring proper documentation and explanation/ reporting of re-billable activity
- Responsible for the successful execution of the Warranty process and maximizing warranty recovery
- Ensure data integrity in the Shop Management Online system
- Asset Management Directs his/her subordinates in maintaining the appearance and maintenance of assigned locations, including sustaining 6S standards throughout the shop
- Evaluates needs and makes recommendation for shop tooling and equipment requirements
- Responsible for the execution of Asset Management initiatives at the shop level
- Management and oversight of vehicle specifications and vehicle in-service/out-service process
- Provide input during business unit asset management review
- Ensure all vehicles have required specifications in SAM
- Responsible for successful execution of Parts Inventory management, policies and procedures
- Collaborate with Rental in scheduling PM's, utilization of assets to be ready at all times, subs, VMI, and wash log. Quality Management Responsible for successful execution of Quality Inspections of PM & repairs, including In Process Reviews of non-PM work
- Lead breakdown root cause analysis process, implement corrective actions locally, and when necessary, communicate issues to Technical Assistance Center
- Maintain control/visibility over shop floor activities to ensure proper root cause diagnosis by technicians and that the yield on all parts/components is optimized
- Responsible for all Mandatory Compliance items at the Shop Level as identified on the Quality Review inspection list
- Accountable for all Quality Metrics within the Shop
- Develop and ensure implementation of Quality Assurance Audit Corrective Action plans and Continuous Improvement programs
- Accountable for maintenance of all relevant documentation required to meet and/or exceed local, state, federal, as well as customer requirements Responsible for ensuring a safe workplace and providing guidance for all safety efforts and initiatives
- Ensure Cleanliness and quality of repair for all maintained vehicles
- Comply with Safety, State, and EPA regulations and requirements
- Financial Impact Responsible for approximately 131-370 Truck Equivalencies Responsible for revenue base of up to approximately $5M
- Responsible for annual net maintenance expense of up to $1.5M
- Manages an inventory in a range of up to approximately $75K
- Employees Supervised Responsible for the management of up to 15 employees, including but not limited to: Shift Supervisors, Technicians-In-Charge, Customer Service Coordinators, Parts Responsible Tire Persons, Technicians and Service Employees to support the needs of assigned location
- Safety Sensitive or DOT Regulated This position is responsible for all safety related operations within their branch to ensure all requirements related to OSHA, DOT and DOT Regulated Employees are administered properly
- Travel Requirements Less than 10%
Ryder is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.