Smithfield Foods, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Plant Human Resources Manager
at Smithfield Foods, inc.
- Job Locations
- Human Resources
- FLSA Status
- 1st Shift
- IndSPR-Human Resources
This position manages, directs and coordinates the Human Resource policies and programs covering several of the following: labor relations, wage and salary administration, orientation and training, safety and health, benefits and employee services. This position also manages the recruitment, development and retention of employees; has knowledge of EEO laws and general human resources concepts.
- Implements and manages on-going policies, programs, and procedures to foster understanding of and improvement in management, supervisory or employee relations.
- Manages situations involving policy or contract interpretation. Leads and mentors others to ensure consistent application of all such rules and policies. Develops and implements innovative solutions to personnel and/or labor relations issues affecting the plant to mitigate any legal or compliance-related risks. Maintains a positive labor/employee relations environment at the plant by counseling managers and employees on human resource policies and rules, identifying and resolving problems or recommending courses of action.
- Counsels managers and/or supervisors concerning human resource policies and procedures; reviews and resolves issues.
- Supervises Human Resource staff directly or through supervisors; plans, assigns and reviews assignments; counsels staff; evaluates job performance and approves or recommends actions.
- Ensures administrative, management and hourly production employee retention at the facility is maintained at an acceptable level. Uses knowledge, experience, and continuous interpretation of facility dynamics to help understand and determine the training and educational needs of the hourly employees and administrative, management employees.
- Manages all new employee recruitment, orientation, and training, either through primary function or through performance of subordinates.
- Manages the development and ongoing execution of the location's Affirmation Action plan to achieve AAP goals during entire employment process for all employees at the facility (recruitment, promotions, transition processes)
- Performs analysis and prepares statistical reports, narrative reports and communications for use in formulating goals and objectives.
- Manages employee benefit enrollments, questions, or inquiries.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 5+ years’ relevant experience, required.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Labor Relations/ Union experience, required.
- In-depth knowledge of California Labor and employment laws required.
- Knowledge of Human Resource systems; Internet software; Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint; Payroll Database software.
- Possesses specialized knowledge of HR systems, processes and procedures, including administration of benefits, compensation and other programs.
- Prior experience in a manufacturing environment, preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customer or employees of organization.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong reasoning and math skills.
- Bi-lingual skills: speak, read, write, address groups, individuals, conduct investigations, counseling, training, mentoring, using language other than English (as applicable to the business unit), preferred.
- Must be able to travel 5-10% of the time.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in clerical functions of HR.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant or distribution center. The environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts or equipment, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production or loading areas.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.