The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
FIRE & SAFETY MANAGER
at The Geo Group
Facility: REEVES COUNTY DETENTION CENTER (I & II)
Compensation Base: $50,000.00
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Responsible for effective facility safety and loss prevention programs. Ensures compliance with all current safety regulations and provides consulting and guidance to facility management.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors and enforces both corporate and facility-level safety policies. Develops local safety procedures for the benefit of employees, inmates/detainees/patients/residents, outside contractors and visitors.
- Conducts regularly-scheduled safety inspections within and throughout the facility including the physical plant, equipment and company vehicles. Makes recommendations to address unsafe conditions or unsafe practices and, with approval, initiates corrective action. Re-inspects as required to observe ongoing compliance.
- Conducts initial as well as ongoing safety training for all levels of staff as well as inmates, detainees, patients, and residents.
- Conducts training and mentoring for less-experienced Fire and Safety personnel based in other GEO facilities and participates in compliance audits of other facilities.
- Controls the introduction and use of hazardous chemicals in all departments including food service, maintenance, housing units, laundry, vocational programs, transportation, and recreation. Is responsible for facility-wide Monitors Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) compliance.
- Evaluates the need for personal protective equipment and monitors usage and effectiveness.
- Establishes and controls the facility’s sanitation and hygiene standards (waste products, surface contaminants, biological hazards), air quality, noise-level, and illumination compliance.
- Monitors and ensures that facility fire protection system and safety equipment are fully functional. Conducts or arranges for all scheduled testing as required by the organization’s insurers, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) or client regulations.
- Works with the facility’s senior management team to develop a written Emergency Plan and conduct at least one simulation per year. Serves as the operational liaison with community emergency responders. Adopts all relevant Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Incident Command guidelines.
- Conducts scheduled fire drills across all shifts as determined by facility or insurance policies.
- Responsible for the safety and industrial hygiene aspects of audit compliance including correction of any deficiencies.
- Responsible for the facility’s safety budget.
- Conducts monthly safety committee meetings as established by the Facility Administrator.
- Conducts investigations of accidents or near accidents including determining cause, assessing property damage, and preparing reports with recommended corrective actions.
- Ensures the accuracy of the accident recording system or Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) log. Analyzes accident trends and recommends remedies.
- Reviews all on-site construction and contracted repairs activities to ensure they are in compliance with all safety policies and regulations.
- Is on-call 24/7 for facility emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Five (5) years of work experience in the military or other industry involving fire safety, occupational health or loss prevention. (A combination of education and work experience may be taken into consideration based on management’s discretion.)
- Certification in fire and safety procedures within two (2) years of entering position.
- Extensive knowledge of appropriate local, state and federal health and safety laws and regulations including OSHA and NFPA.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, site plans and procedure manuals.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence and to speak effectively before groups of employees.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.