The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Proposal Writer/Manager (non supervisory)
at The Geo Group
Facility: BOULDER HEADQUARTERS - EM
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
About The Company
For more than 40 years BI Incorporated (BI) has focused on providing accountable supervision alternatives to incarceration and reducing the cost of corrections. BI provides agencies with innovative products, expert technical and monitoring customer service, and U.S.-based manufacturing. BI also designs and develops web-based software applications which enable agency staff supervising low- to high-risk populations to access and manage client data for growing offender caseloads. These products and services enable agencies to curb future crime, enhance public safety and conserve scarce local resources. BI employees work closely with local corrections officials to reduce recidivism, enhance public safety, and strengthen the communities we serve.
About this role
BI Incorporated is seeking candidates for an exciting project management and writing position within our proposal department. Responsible for managing the full lifecycle of proposals—from developing proposal plans to writing new content—this position works closely with all levels of the organization to win government contracts. We are looking for a candidate with great attention to detail, professional writing skills, and deadline-driven focus. Direct proposal management experience is preferred, along with a strong emphasis on writing and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
What you'll be doing
- Based on complexity of assigned proposal(s), may be responsible for leading multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with government procurement preferred.
- Responsible for all project management activities related to proposal development; communication, leadership, team management, negotiation, organization, and risk management strategies are critical to proposal development success. With minimal oversight from Manager, Proposals, this position:
- Creates and updates Proposal Management Plan tools, including calendars, rosters, and other key documents throughout proposal development and procurement lifecycle.
- Proactively contributes to the development of proposal positioning with the extended Proposal Team, including win theme, strategy, and discriminators.
- Facilitates meetings for the extended Proposal Team and other stakeholders during proposal development to ensure deliverables are provided on time and in conformance with customer requirements. Provides clear expectations, clarifications, and assistance to SMEs to ensure the inputs received properly support proposal responses.
- Utilizes all Proposal Management Plan tools with fidelity throughout the proposal development process.
- Maintains appropriate documentation during proposal development, such as notes and fields in Salesforce.com, “Read Receipts” for official agency submissions by email, FedEx proof of delivery notices, Proposal Team records, etc.
- Maintains proposal development schedules for the entire proposal process timeline, including customer deadlines as well as internal deliverables and dependencies to complete the proposed solution and the response. Routinely performs status checks with Manager, Proposals.
- Incorporates Cost/Price development schedules and approvals into the larger proposal development schedules. Collaborates with Finance and Sales staff to ensure approved pricing is received in a timely manner and that final Cost/Price documents included in proposals are complete, accurate, and approved.
- Responsible for proposal close out activities that support future proposal development, such as recovery of new content for future boilerplate, new graphics in team resource files, orderly and consistent file management structures, conducting and presenting “post-mortem” findings, etc.
- Responsible for developing responses to solicitations that are moderately complex to highly complex. While active opportunities impact workload and delegation to all Proposal Development Specialists, the Proposal Development Specialist II will be responsible for leading moderately to highly complex proposals, when appropriate, with minimal oversight from Manager, Proposals. Key development duties include:
- Assumes responsibility for all aspects of assigned proposals, including proposal design, written and graphic content, accurate completion of proposal forms, and inclusion of supporting documentation.
- Develops customized, compliant, and compelling content for proposals by conducting research, interviewing Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and reviewing and editing inputs from SMEs. Works with Manager, Proposals and graphic designers to translate concepts into informative images.
- Creates new proposal boilerplate and updates existing boilerplate on a continual basis. Contributes to the creation of templates and tools that add to team efficiency.
- Plans and coordinates the assembly and shipment aspects of proposals to ensure proposal packages are professional and compliant with solicitation requirements, including letters of transmittal, proposal covers, binders, tabs, labels, boxes, CDs, etc. Arranges with the Proposal Coordinator for administrative support during the development process.
- Analyzes and documents agency solicitation requirements.
- Develops and designs proposal structure and outline in accordance with solicitation requirements and to support reader-friendly narrative structure.
- Builds compliance matrices and other tools to ensure proposals are complete and address all requirements.
- Remains current on all amendments and modifications to the original solicitation.
- Coordinates and submits questions to procurement officials regarding the solicitation. May interact with procurement officials via phone calls during proposal development.
- Responsible for contributing to special team projects, including conducting research, developing and revising proposal development tools, reviewing and developing Proposal Team Standard Operating Procedures, and supporting other organizational efforts as appropriate.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring Proposal Development Specialist I positions, with an emphasis developing a sense of leadership with the team.
- Responsible for assisting other proposal team members with deliverables, including conducting draft reviews, shipment audits, and responding to internal requests for information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What you'll bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Marketing, Communications, English, Writing, Journalism, or related field required. Work experience in a related field or position may be considered at the discretion of the VP, Business Development.
- Three to five years of experience in Proposal Development, Proposal Management, or relevant field such as Program/Project Management, including communication, leadership, team management, negotiation, organization, and risk management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative abilities with cross-functional team management proficiency.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously and to prioritize appropriately with focus on meeting all deliverables and deadlines.
- Excellent facilitation, organization, and time management skills, including the ability to schedule and manage the entire proposal development lifecycle and process.
- Ability to analyze and understand the subtle details of solicitations, such as RFPs, RFQs, ITBs, RFIs, etc.
- Extraordinary attention to detail; minimal error rates.
- Proficient with negotiation, presentation, and meeting facilitation skills.
- Well-developed reasoning, problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical abilities.
- Business writing skills and professional writing experience required. Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style preferred.
- Ability to generate proposal copy that demonstrates an understanding of issues faced by customers and illustrates how Company products and services can provide solutions to meet customers’ needs.
- Ability conduct internal and external research, interview SMEs, and create high-quality content as a result.
- Ability to quickly develop working knowledge of Company products and services and to clearly explain all capabilities and benefits.
- Excellent research skills including advanced use of internet tools.
- Strong knowledge of the MS Office Suite. Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word.
- Familiarity with Sant/Qvidian and Salesforce.com preferred.
- Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat, Adobe FrameMaker, and InDesign preferred.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
As a Proposal Development Specialist, you will be part of a stable, established, and yet still growing organization with a great deal of diversification, which will present you with a range of different challenges. We value your hard work and professional dedication and will reward you with a competitive compensation package that includes full benefits.
Your benefits will include:
- Three weeks Paid Time Off
- 11 paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Term life insurance (includes spouse and dependent)
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Flexible spending account
- 401(k) retirement program
- Stock purchase program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Legal program – Legal Club of America
- Direct deposit
- Theme park and attraction discounts