University of New Mexico
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mgr,Safety - req# 8331
at University of New Mexico
|Position Summary||The University of New Mexico’s Safety & Risk Services (SRS) Department currently seeks an experienced Safety Manager to provide leadership in ensuring that UNM operations remain compliant with federal, state, and local safety regulations.|
Under limited supervision, the Safety Manager:
1. Oversees the development, management and implementation of a variety of safety programs and safety training programs to ensure regulatory compliance as mandated by local, state, and federal agencies.
2. Serves as the primary liaison with external constituencies, including State and Federal government agencies, regarding the University's compliance to safety regulations; coordinates on-site inspections and negotiates appropriate remediation for safety violations.
3. Oversees the management, implementation and coordination of the campus safety program to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, deaths, and financial losses; develops accident-prevention and loss-control systems and programs for incorporation into operational policies of the University.
4. Oversees the management, implementation and coordination of the University fire safety program to reduce or eliminate injuries, death, financial and property losses due to fire related incidents; oversees the development of fire prevention programs for incorporation into the operational policies of the University; ensure compliance with Clery Act requirements.
5. Oversees and manages the response to and investigation of reports of hazardous or potentially hazardous conditions; reviews recommendations and/or takes appropriate action in order to mitigate potential safety, health, and environmental risks.
6. Oversees the supervision of assigned personnel, which includes hiring, work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
7. Coordinates the division annual budget and assists in the development of capital expenditure budgets related to environmental, health and safety programs; develops and justifies budget requests.
8. Develops or assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and safe operation of the unit.
9. Implements the SRS Construction Safety Manual and ensures contractor code compliance by managing the interaction between University personnel and external contractors; oversees plan review coordination with appropriate University constituencies, as well as developed recommendations and remedial actions, as appropriate.
10. Oversees the development and implementation of systems to maintain records on employees, equipment inventories, and compliance activities.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree; at least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
1. Supervisory experience
2. Excellent communication skills
3. OSHA 30
4. Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER)
5. Construction safety experience
6. Fire Safety experience
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Safety & Risk Services (685A)|
|Staff Type||Regular - Full-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Pay||$4738.93 - $7108.40|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||3/22/2019|
|Application Instructions||Please complete an application and include a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter address how your experience needs the requirements and preferences for this position.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.