University of New Mexico
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sci Research Manager - req# 9044
at University of New Mexico
Sci Research Manager
|Working Title||Sci Research Manager|
The New Mexico Tumor Registry (NMTR) is a population-based cancer registry that has served New Mexico since 1966. The NMTR gathers, maintains, analyzes, and disseminates cancer surveillance data and supports scientific investigations of cancer. The NMTR is a division of the Cancer Control Program at the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center (UNMCCC). The NMTR is a founding member of the National Cancer Institute’s Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Program and we have been continuously funded by the SEER Program since 1973. Data collected by NMTR is routinely used to document and track trends in cancer occurrence and care, support scientific research and inform about public health policy.
The NMTR is seeking a highly qualified and motivated Scientific Research Manager to manage the daily activities of various research projects under multiple Principal Investigators. Examples of research projects include the Virtual Pooled Registry, Patterns of Care Study, and Women in Survivorship and Health (WISH) Projects.
The selected candidate will:
· Provide organizational leadership and project coordination for all aspects of cancer-focused research projects, including facilitating team communications, often across multiple departments and institutions
· Participate in the design and implementation of various research protocols and study materials (i.e., consent forms, recruitment flyers, interview guides, survivorship curricula and survey instruments)
· Monitor and report study progress, ensure data integrity, quality control, and timely submissions of progress reports and/or data submissions to National Cancer Institute
· Collaborate with Principal Investigators and UNMCCC Biostatistics Shared Resource study staff to develop/refine documentation to standardize study processes and related REDCap databases
· Coordinate data collection and participant tracking at the UNMCCC by working with research team and clinic staff to arrange scheduling, preparation of materials, and administrative aspects such as gift cards. This includes participating in some travel to clinics (1-2 times per month) in order to support data collection efforts.
· Maintain required documentation of new and ongoing research for internal and/or external IRBs and other regulatory committees
· Participate in statistical analysis and interpretation of cancer surveillance data and data generated from various research projects
· Prepare statistical reports and manuscripts for publication
· Assist Principal Investigators with budget drafts and justifications for grants and provide budget oversight
The University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center is the Official Cancer Center of New Mexico and the only National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in a 500-mile radius. Its 125 board-certified oncology specialty physicians include cancer surgeons in every specialty (abdominal, thoracic, bone and soft tissue, neurosurgery, genitourinary, gynecology, and head and neck cancers), adult and pediatric hematologists/medical oncologists, gynecologic oncologists, and radiation oncologists. They, along with more than 500 other cancer healthcare professionals (nurses, pharmacists, nutritionists, navigators, psychologists and social workers), provided cancer care for nearly 60 percent of the adults and children in New Mexico affected by cancer. They treated 11,249 patients in 84,875 ambulatory clinic visits in addition to in-patient hospitalizations at UNM Hospital. These patients came from every county in the State. More than 12 percent of these patients participated in cancer clinical trials testing new cancer treatments and 35 percent of patients participated in other clinical research studies, including tests of novel cancer prevention strategies and cancer genome sequencing. The 130 cancer research scientists affiliated with the UNMCCC were awarded almost $60 million in federal and private grants and contracts for cancer research projects and published 301 high quality publications. Promoting economic development, they filed more than 30 new patents in FY16, and since 2010, have launched 11 new biotechnology start-up companies. Scientists associated with the UNMCCC Cancer Control & Disparities have conducted more than 60 statewide community-based cancer education, prevention, screening, and behavioral intervention studies involving more than 10,000 New Mexicans. Finally, the physicians, scientists and staff have provided education and training experiences to more than 230 high school, undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral fellowship students in cancer research and cancer health care delivery. Learn more at http://cancer.unm.edu.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· Master’s degree in public health
· Demonstrated experience in statistical analysis and interpretation of cancer surveillance data
· Demonstrated experience with managing population-based research studies
· Demonstrated experience with developing and maintaining required documentation of ongoing research for internal and external Institutional Review Boards
· Experience with the utilization of the Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) system
· Strong time management and organizational skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Bilingual in Spanish
|Additional Requirements||Finalists should be prepared to provide official educational transcripts if selected for hire. |
Applicants must provide names of 3 past or present supervisors as references that the hiring official can contact.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||CRTC New Mexico Tumor Registry NMTR (099N)|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||1 year from date of hire|
|Pay||$3,434.31 - $5,151.47|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||5/13/2019|
|Application Instructions||APPLICANT: Please complete the official application; making sure to include all prior work experience and average hours worked per week. Attach your Current Resume; listing three former or current Supervisor References. Attach your Cover Letter that details how your experience matches the position as described above; including any Preferred Qualifications.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.