Volunteers of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Development Director, Affordable Housing - Sacramento, CA
at Volunteers of America
VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
Senior Development Director, Affordable Housing - Sacramento, CA
THIS POSITION WILL BE LOCATED IN SACRAMENTO, CA
Come make a difference! Volunteers of America is one the nation's largest and most comprehensive human services organizations. Since 1896, our ministry of service has supported and empowered America's most vulnerable groups, including at-risk youth, the frail elderly, men and women returning from prison, homeless individuals and families, people with disabilities, and those recovering from addictions. We are one of the nation's largest nonprofit providers of quality, affordable housing for low and moderate-income households and persons with special needs.
Summary of Essential Functions, Duties & Responsibilities
Volunteers of America (VOA) is seeking a Sacramento, CA - based Affordable Housing Sr. Development Director who is experienced in securing affordable housing financing from state housing finance agencies, federal government sources, and other affordable housing finance sources available in the State of CA. Ideal candidate has a keen sense of the funding environment and enjoys working the details to execute and close affordable housing development projects.
Responsible for sourcing the development, acquisition or preservation of affordable housing utilizing Federal, state, local and private funding sources, including LIHTC and conventional debt in the assigned region. Assist in promoting affordable housing advocacy to benefit Volunteers of America and support its position as a recognized nonprofit leader. Core measures of accomplishment include successful closing of real estate development, acquisition, or preservation projects, as well as generation of developer fees and revenue when compared against approved project completion schedules and board approved budgets limits.
Work with the SVP, Housing Development, and others in the National Office to define and carry-out strategic direction in assigned geographic areas. Work with assigned VOA Affiliates to; a) determine their strategic areas of focus, b) establish local criteria for developing housing in their geographic areas, and c) determine how VOANS housing development can assist them in meeting their goals.
PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree required with graduate degree preferred.
- Excellent project management skills and experience. 5 - 7 years' related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in affordable housing real estate development, acquisitions and construction.
- Knowledge of state housing finance program technical programs and procedures and ability to influence changes in state policy regarding housing programs.
- Experience having lead project managed and closed at least two LIHTC transactions.
- Experience leading project management teams.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including public speaking and making presentations.
- Candidate must have real estate/construction experience. Knowledge of Section 42 regulations required.
- Good vendor management skills, including negotiating skills.
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills both within and outside of VOA.
- Mature judgment with an ability to support and explain reasoning for decisions. Collaborative nature with a "results oriented" mindset.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to think outside the box while staying within guidelines. Mature approach to risk assessment and management.
- Self-starter: ability to work proactively and independently.
- Passion for providing housing to those in need.
- Personal credibility and high degree of integrity: presentation of self is honest and forthright and reflects well upon VOA.
- Initiative: able to work well within ever-changing and dynamic circumstances. Responsive to those within and outside of VOA.
- MS Office skills including Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Ability to work independently and keep flexible hours.
- Some travel will be required.
Volunteers of America offer a generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, retirement, etc.
To contact someone in HR directly FOR QUESTIONS ONLY, please email us at